Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040409_225.html

HOUSTON April 9 — City schools are dropping a policy that required city high school students to pass such core courses as English and math before they moved to the next grade.

The board of the Houston Independent School District on Thursday gave preliminary approval to a new promotion policy that school officials hope will keep struggling students from getting discouraged and help cut the district's dropout rate.
back in my day, we had a name for the promotionally-challenged. LOSERS. losers were kept back. when they passed what the rest of us passed, then they were let back in the normal stream.

I guess today's high school degrees are nothing more than age certificates of sorts.

sigh.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
LMAO

You know you go outside of this country...there is no such a thing as Special Education.

I dont believe in learning disability....its called laziness.

Now mentally ill kids or retarded....is a different story. I can understand.

It seems like schools want to push these kids thru schools rather then teach them something.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
428 Posts
Apparently we just don't have enough illiterate and semi-literate high school graduates as it is... :roll:
Dropping out of a school system like this is probably the wisest decision a Houston ISD inmate (umm, student) can make to improve his or her future prospects.
passaturbonium, you're absolutely correct about the farce that U.S. educators euphemistically call "special education."

·
Registered
229 Posts
High school kids only need to learn these 7 words:

IS
THAT
FOR
HERE
OR
TO
GO

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Jacob, there is a difference between a learning disability and laziness. If you ever worked with kids who had learning disabilities, then you would NEVER make that assumption.

Granted, there are kids who are just lazy, but don't confuse the two.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I'm not a Hebrew but... OOOYYY GAVALT!!!

As a father with a kid with ADHD, there IS such a thing as a learning disability... but let me stretch to guess what you were trying to say passaturbonium... he is not held to a lower level than any other kid, he just has more/different challenges to achieve it... thus no disability.

I'm SURE that's what you were getting at :wink: . Give the topic of linux' first post, it looks like Cam is going to do just fine as far as the school system is concerned... he just has to worry about his dad now. Schools going to be easy :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
eryky said:
High school kids only need to learn these 7 words:

IS
THAT
FOR
HERE
OR
TO
GO

Don't forget these other handy phrases:

Would you like to supersize that?

Do you want fries with that?

--------

Everybody knows that if you hold a student back, you will damage his/her self esteem and that is a violation of his/her civil rights. :roll:

"No child left behind" is the stupidest concept in education since Carter established the money pit Department of Education. Some kids are going to fall off the end of the bell curve and no amount of money can prevent it, but letting 14% fail math or English in 9th and 10th grade is criminal.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
julianfang said:
I'm interested in knowing why you think there's no such thing as a learning disability.
I just dont believe in it....if you are not down with the syndrome.

I also dont believe in puting some kids in easy (basic" classis or hard "honors" classes.....based on their grades.

I feel that that is like segregation. ALl students should be treated on the same level.....smart or stupid. Puting a student in a basic class is like telling him you are not as smart or as good as other students...I just dont believe in it.

Its not a competition....its a school....all students should be tought the same material.

In the end....some student get a dyploma for not doing shit....and some get it for busting their asses.

Just my opinion....Im not saying Im right or wrong....I just dont believe in it....thats all.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
0 Posts
Thats crazy theres a high school where i used to live that gave the students credits for simply showing, not staying or participating just coming into the building. this is a disadvantage to these kids! :mad:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
linux-works said:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040409_225.html

HOUSTON April 9 — City schools are dropping a policy that required city high school students to pass such core courses as English and math before they moved to the next grade.

The board of the Houston Independent School District on Thursday gave preliminary approval to a new promotion policy that school officials hope will keep struggling students from getting discouraged and help cut the district's dropout rate.
back in my day, we had a name for the promotionally-challenged. LOSERS. losers were kept back. when they passed what the rest of us passed, then they were let back in the normal stream.

I guess today's high school degrees are nothing more than age certificates of sorts.

sigh.
I'm with ya linux, that's just absolutely ridiculous. :roll: I wonder if this will carry over to the job market in the future??? You do terribly at work, can't get promoted, but they feel bad for you and kick you up a notch anyway. :weirdo: By spending time on the losers like that we're holding ourselves, as a whole, back.

I have two words for kids who fall into that category: Cheap Labor

·
Registered
428 Posts
SDPassatT said:
I wonder if this will carry over to the job market in the future??? You do terribly at work, can't get promoted, but they feel bad for you and kick you up a notch anyway. :weirdo:
If the many incompetent managers (including more than a few vice presidents and directors) I've encountered in my career are any indication, the answer is an unequivocal yes.
SDPassatT said:
I have another for those kids: consultant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Ok, let me rephrase that.....there is no such a thing as learning disability.

What I said about retarted people...no offense intended. Nothing against them.
I think you're learning disabled, seeing how you can't spell and all. Or are you just too lazy to use spellcheck, or do you not even know how to do that?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
SDPassatT said:
I'm with ya linux, that's just absolutely ridiculous. :roll: I wonder if this will carry over to the job market in the future??? You do terribly at work, can't get promoted, but they feel bad for you and kick you up a notch anyway. :weirdo: By spending time on the losers like that we're holding ourselves, as a whole, back.

It's called the Peter Principle - achieving your maximum level of incompetency.

There are learning disabilities, and as a student in an experimental school having separate learning tracks for gifted, normal, and basic students, I was priveledged to have a teacher who taught to my ability. I can say that Harold T. Wiley Elementary graduated an above average percentage of its students meeting all educational standards because the gifted (and frequently disruptive due to boredom) students were removed from the classroom to a higher-paced environment. In a rather interesting turn of events, we spent a measurable amount of time tutoring the basic and EMR/TMR students as part of our curiculum.

Giftedness can be a learning disability in a "straight" learning environment, as is dyslexia, poor vision, and hearing trouble. None have anything to do with intelligence, merely the ability to receive and process information.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
atomicalex said:
SDPassatT said:

It's called the Peter Principle - achieving your maximum level of incompetency.

There are learning disabilities, and as a student in an experimental school having separate learning tracks for gifted, normal, and basic students, I was priveledged to have a teacher who taught to my ability. I can say that Harold T. Wiley Elementary graduated an above average percentage of its students meeting all educational standards because the gifted (and frequently disruptive due to boredom) students were removed from the classroom to a higher-paced environment. In a rather interesting turn of events, we spent a measurable amount of time tutoring the basic and EMR/TMR students as part of our curiculum.

Giftedness can be a learning disability in a "straight" learning environment, as is dyslexia, poor vision, and hearing trouble. None have anything to do with intelligence, merely the ability to receive and process information.
"Learning Dsiability" is merely the PC way of saying what some so sophistically called 'retarted' (once a tart always a tart I thought but I guess you can be RE-tarted). The words describe the same thing although niether pays heed to the breadth of severity and WHY someone is learning disabled. Like AA said.. even intelligent kids can be learning disabled if the mehtod of teaching doesn't work for them. I'm sure my autistic brother would love to know that people are so compassionate that they 'don't believe' that he is learning disabled and that he's actually just 'retarted', funny how he would never say somehting so ignorant, maybe his brand of retardation (notice I CAN spell it correctly) is simply in regard to reading comprehension, retention and basic math... socially however he isn't a 'retart'.

I resist using the words 'learning disabled' as an excuse for poor performance but lets not throw out the baby with the bath water here. Just because some people would rather medicate than educate doesn't mean that some children don't trully have problems learning the lessons taught THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. My brother will be happy to make your whoppers too, I wouldn't even worry about them being spit on.. he's not so retarted that he'd take out his dissatisfaction with his 'laziness' on the average consumer.
Some people display incredible depths of intellect at times and can completely blindside you with how insensitive, ignorant, uneduacted, callous and childish they are at other times, would you call this a form of 'retartation'? I would. :mad:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Being a family of educators, there is definitely "learning disabilities". There is children with ADHD or worse. These kids don't act like a child who just gets bored or is a little anxious. They are near impossible to keep focused and/or keep in their seats. It can be very disruptful to the class, and many times the children with the disorder are unaware of their even doing it. However, they are not separated in most cases in Southern California. They are integrated with the other students. Yes, they need additional attention, but this is one of the reason California is having trouble keeping their children up to par in education. It is tough teaching 40 students when 3 or 4 have serious "learning disabilities". Most schools have after school and/or additional programs to aid these children with "learning disabilities" to improve outside the confines of a 40 student room. A more one on one approach. My wife dedicates her time in many ways to these students to ensure they achieve the needs goals. In most cases, this is all they need. A more personal, specific touch.

But, I do see your point. I see about 50% of the kids who have been diagnosed to have a "learning disability" really don't. They appear to be lazy or have other problems that are the cause of their lack of achievement. These children normally don't have the parental or home environment to give them support enough to want to achieve, or they are searching for attention. The parents just need a medical terminology to make them feel better. Don't want to take blame or realize their child could be acting this way without a "disability".

As for the "mentally challenged", these students can be integrated into normal study classes. This is by the parents choice. The school recommends it, but some parents want them to be separated. If they are integrated, it is only a couple of classes, since some classes are too advanced. "Mentally challenged" students 90% of the time have some kind of aid to assist the student and the teacher from distractions.

I think the problem is mostly the USA's ideal of no one is ever to blame for their actions. If the child acts out or doesn't achieve, it is not their fault or blame. It must be a mental problem. But, who knows? That new study says if your toddler watches TV between the age of 0-3 years, there is a 10% increase in the chance for ADD per hour. 3 hours mean 30% chance increase. I guess my kids are doomed to be passed on. Wait a second, isn't that the goal? :crazy:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was GOING to post a follow-up.

but then I got bored and decided not to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts