Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody!

I'm Dave. Auto mechanic from Rhode Island.
I'm a rookie here, but a long time member of vortex. And I've owned dozens of VW's throughout the years, so I help when I can too.
And so far, I'm happy I found this place!
I signed up here cause I just scored a late build 2001 Passat wagon last week! 1.8 turbo, manual, front wheel drive, and has some of the split year upgrades.
Throughout my searching for random answers on stuff, (Yes, I search for things first.) this site pops up with a lot of useful information so far. I just had to sign up. =)
My new wagon? There is so much to learn about this car!
And I freakin' love it! Owned it a week, and it has been so much fun to just get in and drive!
My first car actually in my name in over 10 years! =)
I'm supposed to be sleeping to get up early to replace my timing belt and maybe a few other things. But I found an excellent write up here to help me if I get stuck. So I was just reading up on it.
And I need struts and exhaust, so I got sidetracked looking into that too. Lol

Hope I can figure this site out easily. I'll be chatting soon. ✌

Attachments

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Welcome! She looks beautiful!

Lots to learn here. the B5/B5.5 have more in common with the B5/B6 A4 than the other VWs. Especially suspension and drivetrain.

Had mine for 14 years. Still love driving it. Charles (Humble Mechanic) had one and said it was the best driving VW he's ever owned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually gonna message you the other day. Saw your struts posted in the classifieds. But you're a little bit of a drive.

Still available though?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found out after I bought this one that wd have a scrap car at my job for it too! Same year, 2001. But it's the earlier body.
Guy in my shop says it's got a blown motor.
Bossman said it's just an oil pump. Lol. It's the lower horsepower engine anyway.
Parts car has an automatic transmission. Mine is a super fun stick. So I won't be needing to swap that.
I can't use much on the interior, but I think my son could in the jetta he's buying off of me
The engine is half stripped of its sensors. Cat is gone. And the tailgate is smashed.
But there is still a lot I can use on it. I was gonna offer bossman like a hundred bucks and some of my edibles. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts