Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was pretty weird. My family and I stopped at the local Home Depot to take a look at kitchen cabinets and Pergo flooring. My wife pulls into a parking space and I spy in the opposing space a 4-door two tone car...black sides, silver upper panels. I'm thinking, "How 80's!" Then I notice the Opel circle-lightning-bolt logo on the front grille. Now I'm thinking, "Whoa, what's this - diplomat car?" This would be weird here in Pittsburgh, but over the years I've seen a few diplomat plated cars.

I walk around the car - it's got PA plates (with a local dealer plate surround - Baglier Buick & GMC dealer), leather interior, 140 mph speedo, OZ wheels (pretty low aspect tires - dunno the size). Opel Omega 3.0 on the trunk lid. 4 wheel disc brakes. 4 adjustable head rests. Euro plate on the front - German EC plate - first two letters were HU. Also had a PA state safety inspection sticker on the windshield.

Since our toddler was asleep, I thought I'd wait on the owner to ask a couple of questions...turns out it was a young woman yakking on a cell. Since it was dark already, I thought better of it (didn't wanna scare her or make her feel threatened).

Anyone have any idea what I saw? Think this was the real deal? Any posibility that someone's modding Cadillac Catera to look like an Omega (wasn't that the base car for the Catera)? I have half a mind to call the dealer and see if they'll reveal anything.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nenad,

I wished I had taken a look underneath to see if it was rear wheel drive or not. I'm looking at these pictures and thinking to myself, "Coulda be either of them..."

But I think it was the old style. What year did they switch over? The speedo is what really threw me, though. 140 was the top end, so I'm guessing MPH calibration. Wished I had a camera with me....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts