Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have un-officially adopted a bunch of "interns" (1 year temp working visa) from the Philippines. There are supposed to be 20 of them, but I have only met 12. One of these is the daughter of one my wife's best friend when they were in school in the Philippines. They were randomly assigned to work at various locations in Texas, mostly at hotels. While her mother knew we lived somewhere near Dallas, she did not know her daughter would end up living and working less than 2 miles away from us.

They are all 19-21 years old and somewhat naive (apart from 2 of them). One of the girls was trying to buy a car and found one online that sounded a bit too good to be true. When questioned, the seller stated her husband had died and she was being shipped back to Iraq. The car would be sold using Google Wallet as the banker, holding the money while the car was shipped and once the seller approved of the car, they would then send the owner the money.

This alone sounded fishy, but it got worse once they sent an invoice of how to pay. They wanted Pre-paid cards with the info sent to the owner over email! When I searched the address it was a hospital at an army base. Fortunately, they did not send any money as they were confused over the pre-paid cards vs sending money to Google Wallet as the "owner" had mentioned. The girl wanted to know if she should let the owner know she was not buying the car. I had to explain that there was no car in the first place, therefore, no owner, just someone who was trying to steal her money.

I suggested it would be best to only buy a car they can actually see in person and that I would be happy to go and check out any vehicle they wanted to buy as well as help negotiate a better price (if possible).

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Holy cow!
I can't believe the extent that people will go to get a buck. Those people should be shot.
As the saying goes..
The value of money will never be lower than what people will stoop to get it.

Kudos on the big save. I'm guessing that would have been a pretty huge loss for that girl and her family members.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are here under a J-1 visa, hence the "intern" tag. This is the 1st time for any of them to come to the US. They all speak english, but most are Tagalog from the Manilla area (the national language). One is from the mountain province and speaks the same dialect as my wife.

I expect some of them come from families of means, but several do not and the money loss would have been brutal for them.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is a "Cultural exhange and training" program they are under. The all work in the food industry while learning how to be cooks, pastry chefs and more. They sign up with an agency in the PI. They use it for training, but they also make 4 times what they could make at home while learning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts