Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the hell can I find a fully synthetic 5W-40 here? I've been calling people and they don't stock it anywhere in the South Bay area, so it seems. If any of you guys have any info like a phone number I could call, that would be SWEET!

At this point, I don't care if it's Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Pennzoil

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the carlsbad (palomar road) Costco has 5w-30 and 10w-30 in Mobil One. I know it's not what you asked for, it's just what I'm telling you. :poke:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Synthetic Oil

I buy the 5 qt Mobil 1 5W-30 at Wal-Mart. Usually $22 + but I'll buy it on sale around $19 +. When it's not on sale and I need some, I have a buddy buy it for me at Costco. 6 qt for around $22

·
Registered
790 Posts
FYI, I've heard Mobil1's 10w30 is the better of the two oils, if you have a choice. It is supposed to degrade less over time and have a bettter additive package. And in California, a 10w is no big problem.

And you can get Castrol(made in germany) 0w30 at Autozone, thats supposed to be good and should meet most if not all of the specs.

-Ian

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
yeah were in socal, the coldest it ever gets here is like 55 degrees, so there is no point in using such thin oils as 0-40 or 5w30. I run mobil 1 15w50 in my car all year long. :thumbup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
b5-turbonium said:
yeah were in socal, the coldest it ever gets here is like 55 degrees, so there is no point in using such thin oils as 0-40 or 5w30. I run mobil 1 15w50 in my car all year long. :thumbup:
Interesting you mention that, because the 15w50 does meet A3, whereas the 5w30 and 10w30 don't. How do you like it? I considered switching or even mixing in some 10w30, to get to something a bit thinner?

-Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
swett
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing