Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passenger side front end of stock roof rack is lose and rattling. Has anyone had similar problem(s)? This looks like it requires removal of the headliner. Ideas? Suggestions?

THX

·
Registered
616 Posts
Kayak said:
Passenger side front end of stock roof rack is lose and rattling. Has anyone had similar problem(s)? This looks like it requires removal of the headliner. Ideas? Suggestions?

THX
No problems with mine, either, and I have a WHOLE bunch of Yakima rack gear on top. (Four Lowriders, Two Copperheads, One Basketcase, and one new style fairing.)

This might help...when I met fellow CB5 member OCTICK recently to buy his Adelaides off him (Thanks again, Aaron!) I noticed that he had chrome roof rails (from a W8 Variant) on his B5.5 Variant. I asked if he had to remove the headliner in order to unscrew the old rails and put the chrome ones on. He showed me that parts of the outside rails are actually just covers that pop off so that you can unscrew the rails from outside the car.

THE POINT: I bet you can simply pop off the covers and tighten your rails. Contact OCTICK for more info. Good luck! -Mark

·
Registered
332 Posts
...and be careful that you get that cover back on tight. My passenger side cover flew off a couple months ago on the way home from the body shop. My passenger turn signel flew off too, so whoever they had putting that side back together needs some more practice time. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notes on Roof Fack R&R

Fixed. THX again for suggestions. Agree w/ comments on fragility of covers. Here are notes for others wishing to check/tighten their roof racks:

http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/vag5.asp?subm=%CF%EE%E8%F1%EA&btsnr=817-10&cid=221

Removal of end caps (covers): Pull covers off in-line with long axis of racks (e.g. pull forward cover to the front and rear cover to the back -- NOT UP).

Loosen 13mm nuts and apply loctite to threads (optional).

Torque nuts (15ft lbs according to Bentely manual).

If you pulled the covers up you may need to remove clips with cylindrical bases from covers and insert them in to rack aligned so that the covers will slide on.

Check other clips to make sure they are similarly aligned.

Lubricate clips with small amount of light oil (e.g. 2-26?) to ease ability to slide (optional).

Slide end covers back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.