Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=45182

Saab Looks Forward To Rear Drive
Saab is considering building a rear-wheel-drive replacement for its ageing 9-5, based on the chassis of Holden's Commodore. Insiders say design chief Michael Mauer has made a full-sized styling model of the car, which may be called 9-6.

Saab is thought to realise it can no longer produce powerful front-drive execs in a market dominated by rear and 4WD.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=45182

Saab Looks Forward To Rear Drive
Saab is considering building a rear-wheel-drive replacement for its ageing 9-5, based on the chassis of Holden's Commodore. Insiders say design chief Michael Mauer has made a full-sized styling model of the car, which may be called 9-6.

Saab is thought to realise it can no longer produce powerful front-drive execs in a market dominated by rear and 4WD.
FWD isn't nessecerally all that bad....especially in cold climate.....but 4WD should've been on their cars million years ago....Im not sure how Swedish are going to like RWD though....Im sure we will love that!!!!!

Just dont make the 9-6 just like a GTO......please Saab
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Now I hope VW would produce some RWD machines...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I concur.... Why turn a safe family car into a bmw fighter that still won't have a chance. Fortunately our lease is up in '05 and we can get a 9-5 aero before it gets turned into some euro GTO or something.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Holicow said:
FWD is best for general use. I don't understand the major push to RWD. FWD is safer for the masses. Electronic "safety measures" are not the right answer.
As far as electronic “safety” measures go…their only purpose is to add more “safety’ words to the brochure, and sell more cars. ESP and the rest will never overcome the laws of physics. God knows there is no room left for “more” air bags.

FWD is good, no disagreement there… It gets you to and from the grocery store in bad weather… :wink: But when was the last time you kicked the rear out and throttled through the turn? :D

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Elias said:
Holicow said:
FWD is best for general use. I don't understand the major push to RWD. FWD is safer for the masses. Electronic "safety measures" are not the right answer.
As far as electronic “safety” measures go…their only purpose is to add more “safety’ words to the brochure, and sell more cars. ESP and the rest will never overcome the laws of physics. God knows there is no room left for “more” air bags.

FWD is good, no disagreement there… It gets you to and from the grocery store in bad weather… :wink: But when was the last time you kicked the rear out and throttled through the turn? :D
Acctually FWD is very good on the uphill and downhill twisties....I always thought....maybe not on the flat racetrack....

But the primary reason why most.....all automakers make FWD cars....is cost savings!!! Its cheaper....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A FWD car will always have a hard time keeping up with a comparably powered RWD car on a track. Of course, this is given equal driver skill as well... :wink:. A RWD car usually has better driving dynamics because it is better balanced. Braking is also usually better because of the more even weight distribution, and a RWD car is usually more responsive and agile because the steering and driving are done on different axles, which also eliminates the torque steer that FWD cars have. Plus, an added benefit of RWD is faster straight-line acceleration (on dry roads) and more even tire wear. Don't forget, a RWD car doesn't have any CV Joints to replace either... :wink:

Many manufacturers went over to FWD because it was cheaper to manufacture, like turbonium said, but also because it was lighter, more fuel efficient and it increased the total possible passenger space.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
sentraSR20 said:
Don't forget, a RWD car doesn't have any CV Joints to replace either...
Many RWD cars with IRS do indeed have CV joints...

Anyways saying that "Saab is returning to RWD" because they're building a Holden with a Saab badge is like saying they're "Moving to AWD" because of the 9-2.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Macabre said:
sentraSR20 said:
Don't forget, a RWD car doesn't have any CV Joints to replace either...
Many RWD cars with IRS do indeed have CV joints...

Anyways saying that "Saab is returning to RWD" because they're building a Holden with a Saab badge is like saying they're "Moving to AWD" because of the 9-2.
Actually, most IRS-equipped RWD cars have universal joints. There is a difference between CV (Constant Velocity) joints and universal joints. Your typical Cardan type universal joints cause a change in speed between the driving and driven shafts whenever they operate at an angle. This alternating speed leads to vibrations, which is why they aren't used in FWD cars. In a RWD car, the joint typically does not operate at any complex angles (steering and suspension compression), which is why universal joints are used. CV Joints eliminate this change in velocity and is the reason they are used in FWD applications. Also, universal joints wear less than CV joints, typically.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
passaturbonium said:
What about.....let s say......Nissan 300 ZX....rear wheels rotate a bid.....i would think it has a CV joint no??? I might be wrong but some RWD models do have wheels that rotate....slightly...
I guess it would depend on which Z - the TT had 4 wheel steering, the non-Twin did not have 4 wheel steering.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I know what the difference is.. and what I said was correct, many RWD cars with IRS have CV joints. Crawl under a 1966 or later Porsche next time you have a chance, or a new 'Vette, or a transaxle Alfa (GTV6, Milano) if you want some examples.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What makes FWD cheaper to make? The whole package is in one spot and you don't have to really do much with the rear axle?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Saab may be FWD, as most of GM's new premium chassis' are RWD.
The other option, much more viable, IMO is a stretched Epsilon. The same chassis used under the 9-3.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The last I had heard the next 9-5 was going to be a modified Subaru legacy, but that may have been just a rumor because of the 9-2 being a rebadged subaru.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts