Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. I have a stock b5.5 gls 1.8t w/tip and wanted to begin mods. Start off with a giac chip and tip chip, dv valve, suspension, rims, tires. This could easily be a few grand.

Then one day I went to an audi dealer to pick my friends a6 that he just bought. And there it was cert pre owned 2001 6 speed nogaro blue s4. It has about 49k miles on it and looked tempting. The price 29K. I sat down with the dealer and work out some numbers. Rough estimate about 15-16 for my b5.5 I owe around 10k on it. If I were to add the mod money the s4 could be mine if it is still there? I have been wanting a more aggressive car and what better car than a s4?

Should I keep my car mod it, or should I trade it in for a used s4?
I was also thinking g35 coupe, 350z, new a4 like JonBoys?

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
passat is a family car. s4 is a sports sedan. if you can afford it, go for the s4. that's what i would do. but you'll hear some comments about reliability with the 2.7T engine -- hasn't exactly been a shining star in audi's history. That is the only reason to think twice about a b5 s4.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Hmmm 2001 6 speed S4 or B5.5 Tip...

Ok what year is your B5.5 and then think do you want to give up a current model car for a previous generation model? If you can handle the fact that there's a newer model S4 out that you probably like just as much. Then I say go for it but if it were me I would stay with the current Passat mod it and enjoy until I was ready to afford the current S4. Then you could sell all those mods and look into purchase new ones for the new car.

Chalk this vote for VW. :thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just thinking its an s4. It would be nice to pick up a new one but that is eaisly 50+. The other thing is that I want to get ride of my car(personal reasons) and pick up something a bit more sportier.

Can anybody else recommend another car??

·
Registered
311 Posts
S4 all the way...
Although... that G35 coupe is a monster...

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the 350z is a great sports car for the price, and you can pick it up new for about as much as you're gonna pay for that used S4.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D.Passat00 said:
the 350z is a great sports car for the price, and you can pick it up new for about as much as you're gonna pay for that used S4.
I know it seems strange but i would like something that could seat 4 like g35, clk, s4?

The more i think about it i may just mod my b5.5. but something about the s4 :D :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just test drove a bright red '01 S4 last weekend. It is a fun car stock, I can only imagine it with a chip and a few other things. But I can't justify trading my perfectly good B5.5 for an $28K used car with 45K miles. :sad:

·
Registered
457 Posts
S4 is real fun, there is a 2000 in my town for 20k but has 75k miles on it :thumbdow: Not the best deal for a car which is notoriously unreliable with zero miles on it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
sammyb said:
a car which is notoriously unreliable with zero miles on it.
Ha! So sad, but SO true. The 2.7T was an unrealible piece that even Audi admists was a miserable failure. Even on CPO vehicles, they won't sell you an extended warranty on a 2.7T. :weirdo: :nervous: :suspicio:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I know, MONEY PIT. I told a friend not to buy the audi I mentioned above due to the fact that it is a potential disaster, his response was "you are just jealous." He has no idea about this passat forum nor similar ones for other cars not to mention the fact that magazines and website promote modifications specific to a car's model. People get caught up in the audi image, regardless of the actual car. a4, a6,s4. I have friends who have audi's and they call my passat a "girl's car" (no offense to any females :bow: i aspire to have a girlfriend one day into vw etc. ) and that it is trying to be an audi, yada yada yada. "Why doesn't it say passat?" I can't believe it, it almost gets into a politcalesque debate. These are kids who have no clue about what they drive or what mods can actually be done. "Oh nice passat, how quiant, i drive an a4" and I'm like "how fu(*ing pretentious. My car is like 7k cheaper, more reliabale and less controversial" I bought a chip and a drop and now your car is in my rearview. The debate will be perpetual, sorry to vent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What were some of the problems with the s4 engine? or audi in general?
I thought that audi & vw were much alike?? :???:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
S4 engine is a VR6 (2.8L) made a tad bit smaller(2.7L), with twin turbos on it. Forced induction isn't always the most reliable thing, and in this case they didn't seem to design it very well.....

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
:crazy: The S4 engine is NOT a Vr6. it's a normal V6 but with forced induction. The problem with it is the layout. Due to the small engine compartment size the turbos are stuffed right against the EM and they get cooked by the heat. When the turbos fry you have to remove the engine to replace them. The engine itself is pretty robust, the weak point is the turbos...

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Kiyoshi, your description of the Audi 2.7T engine isn't a smaller VR6 with Twin Turbo's! :thumbdow:

Now I've heard of people having bad experiences with buying used S4's coming off of leases. Make sure your car is certified pre-owned by Audi with a warranty! Honestly, I'm in the market for a 2001 S4 but I can't make a move until I sell this modded GTI. Now the first thing I would do to a used S4 is install a full Samco hose replacement kit with clamps and throttle-body boots. The next step would be to replace the intake and filters, and intercoolers! A nice set of Black Stoptech's would be the last step before making leap to a StageIII Turbo and Clutch kit.

Another 20K into an S4 would produce a SHOW-STOPPER, JAW DROPPER, SMACK YOUR MOMMA racer...

·
Registered
126 Posts
don't bother with the 350z

My father is a mechanic and knows a guy with a brand new convertible 350z. He had my dad supercharge it and put and exhaust on it as well. The guy let me drive it and Im sorry to say but what a waste. The car is so promising as u look at it but once u drive it its another story. It was a 6-speed but still relatively slow, expected much more power than it delivered. Also, the interior is garbage and very cheap.. But thats just my personal opinion of the car

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the g35 Coupe for a test drive this morning. I must say that i was impressed with everything about the car. The car had everything but the Brembo brakes(only comes with Manual) The car was solid but not to stiff. Had Great exceleration but Maybe because my b5.5 is stock, there was a huge difference. I drove the automatic and their Tip Shift worked more like a manual. The computer does not shift at redline. What happens is the engine starts to studder.

I really dont have much experience with cars like many other people on this forum but i must say this was nice :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
BROOKLYN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing