Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member of CB5 for just over two years. I lurked for a few months before that. What got me fired up to join was Boris' Airbox Mod post, which has hence become known (along with Chas' version) as the COAM - Colorado Outlaw Airbox Mod. It was a great post, filled with enough details so that I could print it out and follow it myself. I got so excited about this mod that I went out and just did it. It was truly the first thing I ever "fabbed" for a car in my life. And then I registered for CB5 and this was my first post. Unfortunately, both those posts, and a bunch of others, were accidentally deleted by an overzealous (and very apologetic) moderator. But I saved my first post, and here it is for "posterity." I believe the date was June 10, 2002.
Rusty said:
Thanks, Boris, for a GREAT mod!

Every benefit Boris said about his airbox mod
(http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1102)
is true and then some (BTW you need a 1-3/4" bit, not 1-1/4"). Here are 0-60 numbers, from a dead stop at idle, Tip in Auto mode for shifting consistency, hand-timed average of six runs each, throwing out the lowest and the highest:

Before: 11.6 sec (ambient 61 F, 6000 ft., not enough humidity)
After: 11.2 sec (ambient 61 F, 6000 ft., not enough humidity)

The "after" time was the immediate morning after, without time for the ECU to adjust. It felt even stronger later in the day (at 90 F, with an extra passenger!), but no numbers yet. Will follow up as soon as I get a chance.

Other observations: engine no longer poops out in 95 degree+ Albuquerque heat and altitude. And it is SO cool to hear the turbo whine.

I have a '98 1.8T w/Tip, bone stock except for remove snow screen, K&N air filter, Hyperboost DV, 180 degree thermostat & fan switch, and lotsa heat shielding.

Wife says "Oooooo, This is Swweeeeeeet!" She had requested a mod equivalent in "ooomph" to when I put an Iceman intake on her Neon. She got what she wanted. Me, too! Need better brakes now.

Mod history:
Bought the car used with 39K miles in Nov 01
(1) Remove snow screen - was half-clogged with twigs. BIG improvement!
(2) K&N Air Filter - gave expected improvement in throttle response
(3) Hyperboost DV valve - B4 replace, turbo did not kick in until 3000 rpm. BIG improvement, now kicks in about 2000
(4) 180 thermo&fanswitch - peace of mind and prep for power
(5) heat shielding - more peace of mind. Don't feel like I need the heat shield TSB now. (Keep it out of dealer's hands)
(6) Boris/Colorado airbox mod - in addition to above, the turbo feels like it kicks in between 1700-1800 now - where it's supposed to, right?

More to Come Plans: This is the daily driver/family car, so I have to keep it reliable. I get it on weekends - yippee!
(6) Intercooler - more airflow ala Audi S4 vent (thanks, Forum, for ideas!)
(7) Brakes - SS lines and Mintex pads
(8) Crank Pulley - I can sure use an extra 5-10 HP off idle. Especially with wife & two kids aboard.
(9) Springs - Neuspeed SoftSport
(10) Shocks - Bilstein - HD? or Sport? Any comments?
(11) Tires - best I can find in 205/60x15 (stock steel wheels w/hubcaps)
(12) ECS N75 - maybe, depending on long-term feedback from Forums
(13) Tip chip
(14) Chip chip - probably Neuspeed for lower price and lower boost

Hoping to accomplish all of the above by end-of-summer '03, one mod at a time, every couple of months. Still have a driveable 79 Scirocco (263K, original engine, original clutch) that never got modded because I "never had the money". Not gonna let that happen this time.

Again - Boris' Airbox Mod ROCKS - the twin hoses are a great idea, make for easy mounting and routing. Lotsa more fresh outside air = happy engine!

Great Forum - thanks everyone for all the collective Passat tinkering nuttiness. - Rusty
The thing I remember most is that nearly everyone missed the dramatic improvement in acceleration, and focused on my overall slow times, ignoring the fact that I was at high altitude. Here was my victorious first post, a four-tenths improvement in 0-60 times for $20 and a few hours fun labor, and a lot of folks were slamming me 'cause my car was so "slow." Well, it ain't slow now! :lol: It also amuses me to see my misconceptions about humidity, and my newbie excitement... and guess what? I made all my mod goals and then some, except I never got a "race" N75 or a chip, and probably never will. Here it is - Thanks Boris, and Thanks CB5!!! It's been a great two years.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
do you have the write-up for the air box, maybe i can try to fab a W8 air box

and thats hilarious

i dont know my first post, but i made a website about my mods and future mods, i looked at it recently, it is hilarious, i sound like a complete a$$ with all my future mods, and pipe dreams

its just funny to see how we chance over time

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well, I'm not laughing at your slow times. I do 10.5 sec on a good day in MN. I think the first owner baby'd it too much.

Cool seeing the old posts. I go back there every once in a while just for kicks.

Anybody have an old post to refer me to on preventing kick down? I have my tip in 00010, but it still kicks down, shifts down and shifts up at redline. I don't mind most of those but I hate the kick down!

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
I have this very odd feeling that my 1st post was about my installing my green underbody neons. :nervous: Man, things have changed since then.
I think I might have your post somewhere. :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Boo on the Mintex choice. :p I'll get those Carbotech out tomorrow (yes, I'm a bastard and I still have 'em :oops: They're going out 2 day air tomorrow).

But damn, you're basically on track with everything. :thumbup:

How's your secret airport project going? :wink:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
That's freaking great Rusty!!! :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

I think I remember it now too. I think I was more excited to see another EG owner on the boards and so close to Denver. :shock: :roll: :lol: :crazy:

Like they say, "You've come a long way baby!" :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now when are you going to get that FMIC done? :wink:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ganseg said:
...Anybody have an old post to refer me to on preventing kick down? I have my tip in 00010, but it still kicks down, shifts down and shifts up at redline. I don't mind most of those but I hate the kick down!
Disconnect the kickdown switch! It's easy - look on your firewall next to the throttle cable (assuming you have cable), there's a purple two-blade connector. Just unplug it. Mine has been dangling loose for over a year. I'm going to connect the unsused switch to a mister system for my soon-to-be-installed FMIC.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
aww, baby's first post; here's mine:

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:56 pm Post subject: Herrick Griffin - Dallas, TX

hi, Im really excited to be a part of this finally! I've actually been visiting here for over a year now...course, that was before I even got my B5, but I do now!
1999 GLS V6 5-speed
Colorado Red/Tan

i'll post pics as soon as I find a place to host em![/url]

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stealthx32 said:
Boo on the Mintex choice. :p I'll get those Carbotech out tomorrow (yes, I'm a bastard and I still have 'em :oops: They're going out 2 day air tomorrow).
I second those boos. No longer using Mintex. I like Hawk and I'm currently trying the PBR/Axxis ultimates, with Brembo-style OEM slotteds from S_Klass. So far they are great street pads/rotors, and the nickel finish is holding up a lot better than cadmium. I am looking forward to the Carbotechs. Also debating whether to buy some real rotors from dba and swap out pads and rotors on track days. What do you think? Dba rotors have the entrance to the cooling vanes on the inside of the hat where they belong. Shame on Brembo for not doing this.

stealthx32 said:
But damn, you're basically on track with everything. :thumbup:
I had an epiphany just last night. My new goal is standalone engine management in two years. Finances may delay, but that's where I'm headed... the car will be paid off in November 2006.

stealthx32 said:
How's your secret airport project going? :wink:
I have a writeup all ready, just have to get a pic! The results were not what I expected, and I'm not using my device, but serendipity saves the day... :wink:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chas said:
I think I was more excited to see another EG owner on the boards and so close to Denver. :shock: :roll: :lol: :crazy:
You're just a slut for Elegant Green!!! :lol:
THIS WEEKEND, it's my birthday present to myself! I can't WAIT!!!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Rusty said:
Chas said:
I think I was more excited to see another EG owner on the boards and so close to Denver. :shock: :roll: :lol: :crazy:
You're just a slut for Elegant Green!!! :lol:
THIS WEEKEND, it's my birthday present to myself! I can't WAIT!!!
No Rusty, I'm just a SLUT!!! Plain and simple. :lol:

And Happy Birthday man. Have fun installing that monster. Do you have everything you need, including all the mister idems?

Right now my mister isn't working. I think I have a couple clogged nozzles. The hard water here in Aurora is very, very hard indeed and those tiny little ports probably have all sorts of minerals in them.

Good luck! PM me if you have and questions. I'll give you my phone number in case you need it! 8) HA! I bet you won't though.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Rusty, I plan to go disconnect the kickdown tonight! But with a quick glance I don't see this connector. I have a '99 AEB. Is it under the coolant recovery tank, by the ECU or inside by the pedal?

How do you like your ultimates on track days? I'm taking my Passat to its first track day on Thurs night. Other than breaking the ultimates in hard, they haven't been pushed.

My only :sad: so far is they seem to have more dust than oem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
ganseg said:
How do you like your ultimates on track days? I'm taking my Passat to its first track day on Thurs night. Other than breaking the ultimates in hard, they haven't been pushed.

My only :sad: so far is they seem to have more dust than oem.

Thanks!
By Track Day do you mean Drag strip type of track? When Rusty says Track Day, he means road course type of track where brakes are a huge part of driving fast.

Also, MORE DUST THAN STOCK??!!?? No way! I didn't know that was possible! :shock: :???: :shock: :lol:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ganseg said:
...with a quick glance I don't see this connector. I have a '99 AEB. Is it under the coolant recovery tank, by the ECU or inside by the pedal?
Start at your throttle body. Trace the cable from there across the top of the engine to where it enters the firewall. Right there, is where.

ganseg said:
How do you like your ultimates on track days? ...
The Ultimates have been a great street pad so far. I have not had them on the track, and thanks to Jimmy I probably never will. I'm looking forward to the Carbotech Panthers - they are a pure track pad. As far as dust, I've thrown up my hands. All pads dust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.