Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 B5.5, only 27k on it. Why are my 2 front break calipers rusty? back ones are a bit rusty too. has this happened to you?

char

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Probably from the salt on the road.
probably so, considering he's from back east.
Yea, I noticed he was from NY, thats why I said that :wink: . Get some of that rust solvent stuff from walmart and clean it if you really care. Or I guess you could just paint it :thumbup:. Believe it or not, the 3 dollar stuff from PepBoys works great. I have had it on my calipers for about 2 months now, no problems yet. I just wish I could find some high temp clearcoat to make it more glossy :roll:.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
you planning on painting the rear calipers anytime soon? :p
Haha, when I get a jack and stands. I will probably touch up the fronts at the same time, I missed a few spots, and I only sprayed 3 coats.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
D.Passat00 said:
you planning on painting the rear calipers anytime soon? :p
Haha, when I get a jack and stands. I will probably touch up the fronts at the same time, I missed a few spots, and I only sprayed 3 coats.
i picked up some jackstands and a hydraulic jack for $40 at pep boys a while back.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea, they are only 20 now I think, but I am waiting on it, cause my dad promised to get some tools for the garage. I am hoping he will include a jack and stands with a nice compressor :p

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Yea, they are only 20 now I think, but I am waiting on it, cause my dad promised to get some tools for the garage. I am hoping he will include a jack and stands with a nice compressor :p
don't forget the impact wrench! those things are so friggin handy! 8)

p.s. i'm sure AA woulda appreciated them a helluvalot :p

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:

Psh... my friend has an impact wrench, it couldn't even loosen the bolt on my wheels (some retarded mechanic torqued it to like 140 ft lbs). I ended up getting a breaker bar (Gorilla wrench or something) and it came right off. I use that as my tire iron now, never leave home without it :wink:.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Its solid steel. A little rust won't hurt.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
D.Passat00 said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:

Psh... my friend has an impact wrench, it couldn't even loosen the bolt on my wheels. I ended up getting a breaker bar (Gorilla wrench or something) and it came right off. I use that as my tire iron now, never leave home without it :wink:.
if you have a good industrial one, you should have no problems. i've used the impact gun on many tires and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think it helps the paint stay on better if you get the loose rust off first with a wire brush then paint it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
peppy said:
I think it helps the paint stay on better if you get the loose rust off first with a wire brush then paint it :thumbup:
You will want to get the rust off before you paint them, or it will just peel off. Use some rust remover with a brush, and then use some BrakKlean and spray off all the non rubber brake related components afterwards. You will want 5-6 layers of paint for the best results. I didn't remove my calipers, just taped off the parts I didn't want painted.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow.... great feedback. so i'll try to remove the rust and perhaps paint it eventually. i know it's a special paint. can anyone recommend a certain product name or #?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts