Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Rusted transmission cooler lines. Help for a replacement

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bila 
#1 · (Edited)
As the title says, the transmission cooler lines are very rusted and they leak a lot. I have identified 2 points from where it leaks. Point A and point B (see attached pictures). I was thinking about just cutting the pipes at points C and D and replace them with a rubber hose and keep them in place with some heavy duty hose clamps.
What I need from you guys is to recommend me some appropriate tubing for this repair. The pipes have OD: 12.5mm.
Please let me know if it would be a bad idea.
Thank you :)

UPDATE
I will go with this type of hose: https://www.amazon.ca/Derale-13016-...ooler+hose&qid=1567009213&s=automotive&sr=1-2

See less See more
#2 ·
hoses will work ,very little pressure however better to get a smaller hose for a tight fit as the hose will soften up, make sure tranny is filled afterwards and hose (locations/flow direction is correct). I will not at my shop til this weekend but I believe I have some extra nuts (the ones that are on the hose termination points) and barbed fittings....)

#4 ·
That's so lucky, i had no luck finding the parts in a good condition, i live in Montreal, Canada and we kinda have a problem with rust.
I am doing it either at the end of this week or the beginning of the next one. I'll post an update and some pictures when it's done.

#5 ·
Had the same issue with my CC. Tried to "patch" the lines, but they still leaked. Got the new lines from the dealer. Remove the front wheel well liners, the front bumper (Fascia) and they are exposed. I had to drill a hole and cut the plastic substrate to remove the lines and re-install. It was a bear to get the upper "O" rings to fit.

#6 ·
On my 2008 B6 VW Passat Lux, had the same problem....exactly on the "B" point of the attached pictures of the initial post.... Both nuts all rusted.... and leaks constantly....so, I decided to get both hoses from a junkyard and I found them in excellent condition.... and replaced by myself.... The replacement was easily in mention, but to take out that hoses, needs to remove a lot of pieces to work well (driver's tire, mudguard, battery base and console, etc....)....and the worst thing, is that you need a M8 bolt tool 12 points....to disconnect one of those pipes from the transmission.... not difficault if you have the appropiate tools... So....I found that tool on my local shop (almost $4) and the job was done.... without mention the oil transmission service that you have to do when you note a leak on it and don't know the exact quantity of ATF you lost.... (but that theme, will trade in other post)... Since then, everything it's OK and no more leaks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.