Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it it covered ? i have a small patch of surface rust that started on the tail gate of my wagon just under the window ( about the size of a quarter but growing ) . i thought i heard of a 12 year rust warranty somewhere .

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Surface rust is not covered. Basically, if it corrodes from behind and rots from the inside all the way through, it's covered. If it is surface rust, it's not; that's just paint damage and something you are expected to keep on top of. Basically, if the paint looks intact, but blistered and ugly, you can get it covered, if the metal looks good, but there are rusty spots, you aren't. Perhaps post some pics?

I'm glad I live in the South (away from the beach) where the only rusty vehicles you see did time in the benighted, salty, North. It's really common here to see 30 yr old cars with trashed paint and nothing but mild surface rust here and there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes sirwired, you are fortunate to be living in the South. as far as corroding vehicles are concerned.

So far VW has replaced the hood, two front fenders, rear passenger side door, rear driver side door, hatch, and have repainted the roof.
Next to be done is drivers door. It'll be a new vehicle. Ha ha !!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is nothing else on the car . paint is good and not neglected . i'll post up a picture tomorrow . it started on the seam on the bottom of the window ( wagon ) and seems to be a primer issue . there is no damage in the area . the paint started to blister from underneath and now has bare metal with pits in the 2 years of ownership and has progressed along the lower edge of the window about 2 inches side to side and 1 inch down . i'll post a pict tomorrow .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.