Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car is a 1998 VW Passat with approx 222k miles on the body. All paint and panels are original to the car, including the bumpers. I've painted the rub strips with Plastidip as you can see. So I'm wondering exactly what direction I'm going to need to go with some rust spots that have spawned from what I can only imagine was a small chip developed into these larger ones. The main problem area is the hood which has suffered the most. Am I looking at a complete respray, a professional to apply touch up paint, or something I can handle on my own?

Pictures below:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Volkswagen passat
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Bumper
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tire

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally, I have a gnarled rear bumper where the previous owner must have hit something:
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

And a couple dents in the roof here and there:
Snow Backyard Grass Roof House

I've kind of come to terms with the fact that I might be driving this car for a lot longer than I'm anticipating for two reasons: it's cheaper than new and runs like a champ, and I love driving it and haven't got sick of it yet. I had a coming to terms moment with it while I was driving where I basically decided that any kind of "newer" car feature this car lacked, I could retrofit or live without. I have nothing to complain about with this car in terms of reliability, comfort, handling, or fuel economy (24/32/27 mpg c/h/combined) I'm just a little tired of the car showing its true age :(

Thank you in advance for any input! If you could also indicate how much I should anticipate on spending for any fixes, that would be great!

- Tanner

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,909 Posts
A friend of mine had rust specks like yours, a half dollars sized dent, some knicks, and some rust on his hood. We took the hood down to bare metal with paint stripper and a power sander, paid a local paint shop $400 (materials and labor) and they resprayed the entire front end and blended it into the side. You can see a small bit of overspray onto the rub strips (plasti dipped) but overall it looks great.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...ussion/355139-goodbye-passat.html#post2942534

^ look in this thread for more pictures

for the side panels and roof, I would get some touchup paint and a PDR guy to knock them out for you. It will be quite expensive to have an entire panel repainted.

The main work is stripping the hood down so it is prepped for paint. If you can remove the paint yourself you will save a good bit of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.