Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,297 Posts
Might be easier going in through the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
This a very common place for rust to poke through. That and right around the edges along the tail light curvature.
A lot of salvage yards cut the corners out of good cars so people can cut out their rusty one and weld in a newer rust free one. But that option requires a fair amount of body work and expense.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This a very common place for rust to poke through. That and right around the edges along the tail light curvature.
A lot of salvage yards cut the corners out of good cars so people can cut out their rusty one and weld in a newer rust free one. But that option requires a fair amount of body work and expense.
How do you know the rust goes all the way through, or does it usually start on the backside? Why not try lightly, carefully dremeling off the exposed rust to see how deep it goes? Maybe bumper removal not necessary? No idea, but that's what I would do first.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
How do you know the rust goes all the way through, or does it usually start on the backside? Why not try lightly, carefully dremeling off the exposed rust to see how deep it goes? Maybe bumper removal not necessary? No idea, but that's what I would do first.
I don't know if it goes through or not, but I'm just saying it's a common place for rust to take over.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I expect you will have to drop the bumper just for the exterior rust repair as it will extend between the bumper and fender.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.