Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm a new owner of a 2010 Passat Wagon. VW has an excellent body and paint warranty and panel rust perforation is covered for 12 years. How many of you will let rust spots alone until they rot out the metal? If you're an enthusiast I would say none.
I have seen a few potential rust issues, that if treated promptly, are easy to rectify.
1) the front lip of the hood(bonnet to some) rusts at the seam. There are no drain holes to dry the enclosed lip area. A possible clue to potential rusting is the hood insulator. If there is dried salt powder then there is a chance, through condensation or driving in rain it could collect inside the lip.

Here is what I'm going to do to mine.
1. remove hood liner 2. spray water into the hood perimeter and allow it to drain and dry by leaving hood open(to drain front) and then closing it to drain the rest of the perimeter, let it dry in sunny, warm weather. Once everything is dry use a water displacement spray, like WD 40 and spray that into the perimeter using the access holes - spray the rear perimeter of the hood - let the spray run in then spray the side and front enclosed areas and close the hood to allow it to find the low areas. Give that a few days to set and then repeat that process once more using an oil anti rust spray. Use the same technique on the rear hatch/trunk lid(boot)

Wagon owners: please check the areas around the tail lights and inside the body above the tail lights for rust bubbles. The rear of the Passat Wagon, due to the wagon design, allows exhaust condensation to collect on the back...if there are stone chips/nicks in the paint that will speed up rust formation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's where I have rust:

Door sills from behind the rubber gasket, I always find moisture in there

Trunk emblem/latch on sedan

Inside hood along the seam welds

Front fenders where paint has been eaten away from sand/salt

Rear quarter where bumper meets metal

Both wiper arms

Inside firewall and steering column

Also had it along the chrome door strips as mentioned above, I expect it will return at some point

·
Registered
10 Posts
The local VW rep argues that it has to be perforated, i.e. a hole in the sheet metal. They will not warranty "surface" rust. So, most of your car can be bubbling and chipping away on the surface and they won't fix it under warranty.

I wrote to VW of America complaining about this and they offered to fix my trunk and replace the hood as "goodwill" - the dealership has been dodging me on this for 5 months now. I've been reading similar stories in Audi A4 forums as I was thinking of trading up, but will probably go back to a Honda.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My tailgate was bubbling in several places. Paintshop took photos and forwarded them to VWUK for approval. They also check that there's been no attempt at repair prior. Mine wasn't thru the metal. Techie said it's due to the VRM light screws causing electrolysis with the surrounding metal and the passing negative return light current when wet.
VWUK gave the go ahead but for a repair not a replacement as the saloon claimers get. Got good service and a loaner, and a showroom quality wash and valet
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive fog light

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.