Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I finally decided to fix the rust (car cancer as I like to call it) on my car.

Here's some before pics of the damage:

And the only semi-good one I have the hood damage (the damage is a lot more severe you can see further down where we sand blasted the rust):

Now onto the repair!

Started off with some sand blasting to get rid of the rust once and for all (okay okay I know it'll never be gone)!

Self etching primer and glazing putty!

Car has the chicken pox?!

Paint!

So, after a lot of wet sanding, priming, painting, clear coating, buffing, and waxing, the final product (taken today after the final wax). The paint wasn't exactly the right color and something went wrong with the original color on the hood (may need to clear coat again, somehow reacted with the dew). Sorry my camera quality isn't so great these pics don't do the car justice.

Last pic is before the wax.

Overall I'm really happy with the fix. No more rust (for now; knock on wood). And yes it is lowered for those of you who noticed.

:salute:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
How come you guys didn't get the right paint right from the start? Looks 100x better without rust!! :D

and kinda hard not to notice it being lowered :thumbup: pretty solid drop.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,880 Posts
So what time should I drop off my car tomorrow? :p :lol:

Nice job, it looks great, definetly much better than before.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
i thought our B5 had a lifetime warranty on corrosion!!! i might have read it in the manual in fact. don't they have fully galvanized body?? or is it just chassis?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's impossible to find the right color paint. This is a 10 year old car so the paint will never match...the guy showed me 5 different shades of the same color (Windsor blue) and I chose the darkest one (as I was told...). Around the fender it blends almost 100% perfectly, so does the trunk. The hood does too but you can see the parts that I painted so there's spots of darker paint in it...not noticeable from 5ft away.

Thanks guys. :)

Beaumisbro I doubt it helps much. Under my car there's a hole in the subframe, and my exhaust container thing is rusted through.

The main part of the exercise was to stop the rust, and make it look semi-good (budget good) in a weekend.

Also, what do you guys suggest I do for winter with the lowered setup? Right now it's 2.2" in the front and 1.6" in the rear...I don't have a metal skid plate...do you think I should just put the originals springs back in? I don't have coils.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
I have one rusty door and took it in a month ago to have it fixed under the corrosion warranty and they denied it because a stone chip cause the rust to be formed in the first place.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So they'll actually fix it under warranty? I'm guessing that's only if the paint was applied wrong or something. For instance if salt and snow caused the rust I doubt they'd fix it...right?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
WHERE IS THIS CORROSION WARRANTY AND HOW LONG IS IT GOOD FOR?

I don't think I have any marks, but i will be looking for it.

Any.. your door is a bad spot for stone chips? how do they pressume that it got hit with a stone?

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
There was a spot on it that had a chip mark. They said, because I didn't put touch up paint on it, water got in and rusted it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts