Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... on my 2003 just off the lot a few weeks back - is this normal? Took back to dealer and they mentioned that all cars are the same as soon as they are off from the factory. They said that since it's not a rust through, there's no warranty claim and the bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover this. Has anyone come across this before? What was the resolution? What can be done to stop the rust? I'm not impressed with this on a brand new car (eventhough it's an 03). I don't even see this in a couple of years old Jap auto.

:( :sad: :oops:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, the system is stainless steel, so I am not sure what is rusting. And, if it were serious enough, they would cover it under the B2B.

As for Japanese cars, I have owned several, and have an Acura right now. The Honda products are notorious for rusty exhaust systems.

Stainless steel generally will not rust, although I had a MY93 Saturn with 140k and it had a stainless steel system as well. It had some surface rust, but never more than could be removed quickly with a swipe of an emery cloth. I figured I would leave it be.

With all of the crap they put on the roads here in the winter, I figured some surface rust was fine. The system as a whole felt rock solid, unlike the muffler in the Legend.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Mine shows rust too .. just surface rust .. even tho it is SS there is many kinds/grades/alloys of SS and not all have no iron etc .. so will show some oxidization.

Just like exhaust tips that are Stainless Steel .. if they are so stainless why do they stain .. its the Alloy.. I have SS exhaust tips that I made from 316L SS and they won't even pick up exhaust carbon but cheaper alloys will.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. From what I've seen around the muffler, they are surface rust stains which looks rusty. I'm not sure whether they are much of Canadian cars as with what Jesstzn experienced. I can see the rationale behind this if the car is a couple of years old but right off the lot, according to the sales manager and service techs at the dealership, almost all cars has it. When I purchased my 98 Accord it was one and a half years old then and I don't even see it on both the mufflers (it being V6) and even when I sold it, it was still in good condition - no surface rust as this one.

I'll definitely be contacting VW Canada tomorrow to see what they have to say. Totally not satisfied on my end. Would keep you all posted on this.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If worse come to worse, take a wire wheel or some naval jelly to it and throw a few coats of black high-temp paint on it.

I don't think VWC will spring for a new system, more so considering the car is running OK, and it is a cosmetic issue. Not to shoot down your plans or anything, I am just speaking from my knowledge of VW's service ideas, or the lack thereof.

FWIW-My Passat had this, as well as my A4 and A6, all of which had similar systems w/o any problems.

If it were a Honda, I'd definately take preventative measures, but on a VW, I'd let it slide.

HTH, and let us know what happens,
Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stainless Steel is exactly what it's called. Stain Less . It's not called Stainproof Steel. Anybody that operates a boat in salt water with Stainless Steel railings know all about this. What you are seeing is normal, it is not going to rust through, forget it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I talked to VW this morning and they said the same thing like what the service guy mentioned at the dealership as well as what Mark commented above. I guess I voiced my 2cts worth of not being impressed with this.

I appreciate your input Mark and if there's anything else I can do, would appreciate knowing about it. I was thinking in the similar direction with the paint as well.

Thanks guys.

Michael

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You are welcome.

Mike, I know you are dissapointed about the rust, but it is a law of life. Be glad they used SS, and that it will a 1000 years before it perforates, not in 10 like the painted regular steel system on your Honda will do.

Other than some paint, not sure what you can do. Do clean and treat the surface first, remove the rust, a degreaser, etc.

As rhsrph said, it will have some rust, painting it is about all you have as an option.

Is it a reddish brown, ir just dark colored spots? Odds are that if you leave it be, in a year, it will all discolor and look the same.

Mark

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Here is my 03 after 2 Kootenay winters.. BTW Go Flames .. Good luck Tonite ..

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Stainless will pick up the fissures of the machines that milled it or bent it and that will rust - which is what you are seeing, you are not seeing rust on the exhaust itself, it's the stuff that is on it, that is rusting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.