Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read a thread on tdiclub where the OP was going to attempt to get his hood replaced under the corrosion warranty, because of rust quite like the first bit of rust I have pictured here (which is, of course, on my car). So I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with anything like this. I currently have a request in with VW for a new trunk lid for corrosion around the plate lights, so I figured I'd get this done too if I can.

So here's the first pic I took:

Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

And another angle:

Vehicle door Bumper Door handle Auto part Automotive exterior

The second bit of rust (more concealed because you really have to duck in to see it):

Vehicle door Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Another angle of that one:

Auto part Bumper Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

And a picture of both, pointing out the location of each, and the front of the hood for reference:

Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Buckle Auto part

So what do you think? Should I bother pursuing it? It's an '04, and while I'm not concerned about it now, and I get it rustproofed every year, I'm supposed to report it to VW as soon as I notice it, and it could well be a problem in the future (I could see the latch pin welds rusting apart).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I WANT it fixed, let's just hope Volkswagen does too! I just got the call for the trunk lid (INCREDIBLY quick...word was a few months, and the approval took 3 weeks!) so after I get that done I'll ask at the dealership. Still open to hearing thoughts on whether or not this will be approved though!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The corrosion warranty is for perforation, and the rust on your hood latch is very far from that. VW will want nothing to do with that. No big deal....simply wire-brush the rust away and then paint the bare metal with a touch-up paint. You can even put some grease over the repair for good measure.

Funny you should mention the rust around the rear trunk lights, as I noticed I have the beginnings of that myself when I checked the other day. I am simply going to fix it as described above, with the exception that I can't put grease on it, although I can apply some wax rust preventer on the back of the lid where the lights are mounted.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The corrosion warranty is for perforation, and the rust on your hood latch is very far from that. VW will want nothing to do with that. No big deal....simply wire-brush the rust away and then paint the bare metal with a touch-up paint. You can even put some grease over the repair for good measure.

Funny you should mention the rust around the rear trunk lights, as I noticed I have the beginnings of that myself when I checked the other day. I am simply going to fix it as described above, with the exception that I can't put grease on it, although I can apply some wax rust preventer on the back of the lid where the lights are mounted.
I too have rust around the rear trunk lights but that's it. With the exception of a little around the hood latch and some on the rear trunk lights I have no rust anywhere else :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be surprised what they'll do you for. The trunk was far from perforation and there was no problem replacing it. What they seem to do is replace anything that rusts from the inside out (was not cause by a paint scratch such as a stone chip), because that can and will lead to perforation, I've seen them replace because of simple bubbling.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You might be surprised what they'll do you for. The trunk was far from perforation and there was no problem replacing it. What they seem to do is replace anything that rusts from the inside out (was not cause by a paint scratch such as a stone chip), because that can and will lead to perforation, I've seen them replace because of simple bubbling.
Very interesting. Glad VW are stepping up and helping you.

Seems these 2 places trunk lights and hood latch) are achilles heels for what is otherwise one of the best cars on the road today in terms of being rust-free.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting. Glad VW are stepping up and helping you.

Seems these 2 places trunk lights and hood latch) are achilles heels for what is otherwise one of the best cars on the road today in terms of being rust-free.
Yeah!! Don't get me wrong, this car is 9 years old, and has rarely been rustproofed before. It's impressive how little body rust it has; only b-pillar trim and window seals (both of which are out of pocket, but they don't affect the integrity anyway, so no big deal).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.