Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends with a 99 jetta has it open downpipe and it sounds really good. Do any of you know if it sounds good on the passat? I have a 99' 1.8t and didnt want to buy an exhaust system. Thank you for the help guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i dont have anything done to the car right now, was just going to take the exhaust off and run open down pipe for the sound mostly lol. Let me know man thanks

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I'd be kind of concerned about all that exhaust toasting things that aren't meant to be toasted. The exhaust does not run all the way to the rear of the car just for looks...

SirWired

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I've driven a Passat with 3" tubing and a Flowmaster, and it was VERY noticeable inside the cabin. To where it would probably get on my nerves after a while.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I'd be kind of concerned about all that exhaust toasting things that aren't meant to be toasted. The exhaust does not run all the way to the rear of the car just for looks...

SirWired

Are you serious? There's heat shielding running all the way back to preotect anything that doesn't want to see any heat. Not to mention once the pipe heats up it wouldn't matter anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've driven a Passat with 3" tubing and a Flowmaster, and it was VERY noticeable inside the cabin. To where it would probably get on my nerves after a while.
Ya im talking like nothing, no flowmaster, just stock downpipe....ive always loved the sound of my friends jetta

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I have an electric exhaust cutout right after the DP so yes I can run it wide open. It's loud and you get a little more gain up top with more lag on the bottom.

Rusty posted something a while back that said you want some back pressure or the turbine can go out of wack and not be incontrol and wobble causing turbo problems. Don't quote me on that, it's just the most i remember.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
When I was a kid, my Dad and I removed the exhaust system on our VW Dasher (the B1.0!), including the muffler and back, to replace it. I started the car just for kicks to see what it would sound like - crikey, was it loud! Shockingly neighbors-sticking-their-heads-outside-to-see-what-the-hell-that-is loud.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
When I was a kid, my Dad and I removed the exhaust system on our VW Dasher (the B1.0!), including the muffler and back, to replace it. I started the car just for kicks to see what it would sound like - crikey, was it loud! Shockingly neighbors-sticking-their-heads-outside-to-see-what-the-hell-that-is loud.
yeah, but that didn't have a turbo that quiets the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
yeah, but that didn't have a turbo that quiets the exhaust.
No, you're right, it didn't. But I'll tell you that old 1.6 liter would look reeaaalll familiar to you, if you saw it. Longitudinal placement, air intake in the same spot, battery placed way back by the base of the windshield, oil filter in the same spot. No doubt about it, when VWAG gets a design going, they don't stray far from it. Definite proof of evolution!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I have an electric exhaust cutout right after the DP so yes I can run it wide open. It's loud and you get a little more gain up top with more lag on the bottom.
this is what i'd recommend for someone who wants to go cheap. most likely, you don't wanna be running straight off the dp all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i looked and coming right off the hotside of the turbo is like a cat or something that ends right as it reaches the bottom of the engine bay. Like the downpipe looks like a damn cat. If i was to take the cat off it looks like it would run straight off the back of the turbo lol.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Are you serious? There's heat shielding running all the way back to preotect anything that doesn't want to see any heat. Not to mention once the pipe heats up it wouldn't matter anyway.
Yes, I'm serious... yes, there is heat shielding along the exhaust path, but that is built to protect against radiative heat coming from the pipe only. It is not meant to protect against conductive heat coming directly from an exhaust stream. Not to mention that exhaust, being mostly hot steam, is quite corrosive...

I'm a little confused by when you say "Not to mention once the pipe heats up it wouldn't matter anyway." I thought he was suggesting the pipe be removed...

SirWired

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Well i looked and coming right off the hotside of the turbo is like a cat or something that ends right as it reaches the bottom of the engine bay. Like the downpipe looks like a damn cat. If i was to take the cat off it looks like it would run straight off the back of the turbo lol.
It goes Turbo-->Cat-->Downpipe-->Exhaust

1 - 18 of 18 Posts