Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sealant D 454 300 A2
sealant AMV 174 004 01
These two sealants are from the Bentley manual the first one is to be used on the rubber valve cover gasket and between the head and outer cam shaft bearing caps. The second is to be used on the cam chain tensioner gasket. Can anyone tell me what they are? Sharky what do you use? The Cam chain tensioner gasket came precoated in the corner with some type of sealant should I put some more on?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
Re: Crankshaft Seal Replacement
Posted: Nov 30, 2005 9:28 PM Reply
I bought the crankshaft seal puller on ebay for $25. There's some guy from England selling stuff from a closed Audi dealer. He didn't have any cam seal pullers. I'll use the self taping screw method on the cam seals.

NY Audi, which sealer did you settle on for the various procedures under the valve cover. I went to my local dealer and he said none of the mechanics ever use "D 454 300 A2". He said he's seen the stuff, it's a blue gel and never hardens. It remains soft and sticky.

He said the mechanics all use "D 176 404 A2", which is just sensor safe clear silicone RTV.

I wish Bentley would clear this up. Putting this statement "Part Numbers are for reference only" in the manual is pretty lame if the information is not correct. Might as well leave it out and just say "sealer, check with dealer for correct part".

--Vic

NY_Audi

Posted: Nov 30, 2005 10:04 PM Reply
I used D 176 404 A2 on the camshaft end caps under the valve cover, which I bought from ECS tuning. I plan to use Permatex Ultra copper on the water pump.

If you remove the camshafts, then the seals come out with the shaft, and you can slide new seals onto the camshaft before reinstalling the end caps. I used an old cam seal to press on the new seals.

Also, I cannot get the 3242 crank locking tool to bottom out onto the crank. I have positioned the crank at TDC (cyl #3), and I can feel the hole in the crank (using a drill bit, pencil, pinkie). I can move the hole in the crank by rotating the crank while I hold a drill bit in the hole in the crank. But I cannot drive the 3242 tool in far enough to touch the crank (it should go in another 1/2" or so, but it won't move in any further). When I pulled out the 3242 tool, I noticed that the threads were not clean (the tops of the threads that engaged were flatter than the fresh threads). I also tried taking an 18 mm x 1.5 mm tap to the threads in the access hole--could not get the tap started. The 18 mm tap measures 18.00 mm across the threads; the fresh threads on the 3242 tool measure 17.65 mm across the threads. I ran an 18 x 1.5 mm die over the 3242 tool threads and it was loose (on both fresh and somewhat flattened threads). The end of the 3242 tool is 10.03 mm o.d.

What do you think is going on here?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottpassat
Thank you I appreciate your research. I was searching here and google and came up with nothing. Are these post from Passatworld?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts