Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what rpm do you run @80 MPH? I am at 3000 seems like there should be an overdrive or something.
60 MPH =2100 rpm
Does this seem right to others?

99 AEB 1.8T with Triptronic

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
what rpm do you run @80 MPH? I am at 3000 seems like there should be an overdrive or something.
60 MPH =2100 rpm
Does this seem right to others?

99 AEB 1.8T with Triptronic
Sounds about right. My Hyundai 2.0 litre w/5 speed runs about 3K rpm at 70 mph. Sure wish it had a 6th gear. The 2001 1.8T runs around 2500 rpm at 70 mph IIRC w/TIP. My Mark VIII ran about 1800 rpm at 70 mph, but that's a horse of a different color compared to the other 2 cars.

BTW, I've noticed since I moved to FL there are many roads where I drive 50 to 55 mph for relatively long stretches of time (semi rural but still some traffic). Noticed the instant MPG indicator lives around 38 to 40 mpg at those slower speeds - nice! Once I get on the interstate at 70mph plus, I drop back down to around 30 mpg - still not bad.

What's your mpg running 80 mph? I'd guess high 20's on flatlands, maybe a little better if hilly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run about 3200-3400 for 80, I think or its 3400-3500. I think its the earlier though ... I forget. It definitely above what everyone else has reported to far. (1.8t/5spd).

·
Registered
910 Posts
I run about 3200-3400 for 80, I think or its 3400-3500. I think its the earlier though ... I forget. It definitely above what everyone else has reported to far. (1.8t/5spd).
Mine is too. With a manual 5-speed @70, i'm just below 3,000. Took me a while to get used to as my old Audi 80 1.8 did just 2,600 rpm at 70 mph and i'm sure was better for fuel economy as a result. I guess the tips have longer gearing.

My fiance's 1997 Audi A6 2.5 TDI is a six speed. At 70 it feels like its still ticking over at just 2,200 rpm.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
It doesn't matter what speed the engine runs, what matters is the amount of fuel it's using. At that speed, the vast majority of the fuel you're burning is used for nothing more impressive than pushing the air out of the way.

Even if the engine were running slower, it would still have to output the same amount of power to accomplish the same amount of work in the same amount of time, though at a lower speed it would output that power as greater torque, which would put more stress on the transmission internals.

In short, it's fine the way it is.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is not true lower rpm saves gas. You lose power in spinning the motor faster (the faster a piston moves the more friction/heat it creates). Try this drive for a couple minutes at 60 in fifth and note the mpg. Now drive the same stretch of road doing 60 in fourth. Higher RPMs waste gas and wears out your engine faster. Cars designed for fuel economy have tall gearing where as those designed for acceleration tend to have shorter gearing. I too wish I had a 6th gear to cruise at about 2000 rpm and 75 mph.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That's kind of true, but the engine has to use more fuel to maintain the higher rpm. It's called frictional losses.
The gearing chosen depends on lots of things. Torque band but also how low is top gear useful. For example, my wife's Jeep Liberty tachs like 1600 at 60mph which seems great. However, when you are just cruising in town at like 40mph, top gear would be at 1100 rpms which is useless. So high top gear = better fuel mileage but less driveability.
And 3,000 or even 3,300rpms at 80mph is not that bad. Go test drive a Honda and you'll see what high cruising rpms is really like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts