Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,217 Posts
V6 has the CTS on the back side of the passengers side cylinder head in the hard pipe.

I 100% agree, get a Genuine or OEM sensor.
If one is needed. They're only around $20 or so.

·
Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat GLX
195 Posts
I don't know for sure but I would suspect that the ECU defaults to normal operating temperature if it gets no signal or an unbelievable signal from the temp sensor. So if it acts the same (rough when cold, normal when warmed up) it could be that the CTS is kaput.
When I had my coolant temp sensor (I'm assuming you were referring to with CTS) unplugged, my V6 wouldn't start whatsoever, plugged it in, worked fine. Defaulted to -40F with no sensor plugged in, at least according to the scanner tool. Although this was ages ago, so I hope I'm not spreading misinformation. I'll double check when I get my engine fully back together from the rebuild, hopefully within the next two weeks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do you have a dealer nearby? This is one part I'd go with OEM or equivalent. They aren't expensive and the cheap ones seem to fail often. Make sure you get the one that goes at the back of the head (probably green). There is a similar part that will fit down by the lower radiator around but that is just a temperature switch that turns on the cooling fans and is usually black or blue.

Edit: - oh crud, I see this is a V6. Then I don't know where it goes but do get a good quality part.
I did notice the cooling fans coming on more often now that you mentioned that Yes i beleive on the v6 it is in the rear passenger side and green in color. I will and have a VW dealership close by plus in Milford C there is FCP. Thanks for info!

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,012 Posts
I did notice the cooling fans coming on more often now that you mentioned that Yes i beleive on the v6 it is in the rear passenger side and green in color. I will and have a VW dealership close by plus in Milford C there is FCP. Thanks for info!
Buy from FCP since they have a lifetime warranty on the part and they are nearby.

·
Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat GLX
195 Posts
I buy all my parts from FCP, definitely recommended. How's the weather over there? I miss it, my family is from West Haven, gotta run over there sometime soon

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just curious, how rough is rough idle? The V6's aren't super smooth at idle.
Well on start up only but it has smoothed out at start not as noticeable with cooler weather. This vehicle always ran on top tier gas had to change and i think that is when idle got rough! The rough idle does smooth out as engine gets warmer. I am original owner and gas miles has not changed. I did notice both fans came on a lot in warmer weather even prior to going in to close loop.This car is never driven from November on to April since new!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts