Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've got a broken lug bolt and am in the process of getting to the hub to remove it. I need to remove the brake rotor and for some reason it will not come off. I've done some searching, read some write-ups, and it looks like the rotor should simply slide off the hub for easy removal but for some reason mine will not do so. The only thing i can point a finger at, besides the possibility that the broken bolt is at somewhat of an angle keeping the rotor from sliding off is the small black circle around the piece of the hub that is sticking out. Below is a picture of what the brake rotor currently looks like. Do you guys see anything that must be removed? I'd get a manual but the vehicle is imobile, obviously, and the roomates are all at work. Need to fix this up so i can get to class come Tuesday! Any help is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
why don't you just remove the lug bolt? Now that its sticking out you can grip it with locking plyers and twist it out...first soak it with PB blaster. It should come out if you work on it. Or you can get some kind of reverse threaded nut and get it out that way too.

SOAK in PB blaster and wait about an hour or two...then go to work on it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
On an FWD car, you don't need to remove the bracket. It sometimes needs a bit of coersing, but in your case it's that little chunk of stud that's keeping it on. Try trimming it flush with a hacksaw. If that doesn't work, drill it a bit. Also, turn the wheel so that lug is closest to the bracket.

PS- Are you working in the snow, or do you have extraordinarily bad dandruff?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dandruff my friend!!! Looks like i'll try to get myself an extension cord and drill the thing down to size! I really hope this works out cuz i'd hate to pay shop fee's for somethin this ridiculous

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
It looks like you have a centering ring on the hub. Do you have aftermarket wheels? It will need to be removed to get the rotor off.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The bolt is likely your problem. You could prob take the caliper bracket off and take the rotor off, because I don't think the rotor is threaded. However because you have to do a sideways movement to get the rotor off with the caliper bracket still on the chunk of bolt will stop that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Once the bolt is out, pound the rotor with rubber mallet and it should come off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could be rusted on I know when I did my rear brakes I had trouble getting them off because of the rust. I used WD40 to help disolve the rust and yanked it off.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I would soak the bolt with some PB blaster and try flattening two sides to get a wrench on, or try a small pipe wrench. I would not cut it off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, you've got yourself a minor pickle here.

I am going to re-iterate: DO NOT CUT THE BOLT!!!!!!!!!

As it is now, you have a little bit to grab on to and this is a good thing. You can use a vise grip, or slot the top for a flat head, or use a pipe wrench, or grind around the outside to fit the rotor hole over it. BUt please do not cut it flush with the face of the rotor hub. You won't have nearly as much sticking out once you ge the rotor off.

You can loosen one side of the caliper bracket and swing it out of the way and then work on the rotor by hitting the edges (where the caliper used to be) and work it off the spindle. It's a tight fit on the center of the hub, but it is slipped on there.

It sucks working out in the cold, you're a trooper man.:thumbup:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yup, you've got yourself a minor pickle here.

I am going to re-iterate: DO NOT CUT THE BOLT!!!!!!!!!

As it is now, you have a little bit to grab on to and this is a good thing. You can use a vise grip, or slot the top for a flat head, or use a pipe wrench, or grind around the outside to fit the rotor hole over it. BUt please do not cut it flush with the face of the rotor hub. You won't have nearly as much sticking out once you ge the rotor off.

You can loosen one side of the caliper bracket and swing it out of the way and then work on the rotor by hitting the edges (where the caliper used to be) and work it off the spindle. It's a tight fit on the center of the hub, but it is slipped on there.

It sucks working out in the cold, you're a trooper man.:thumbup:
Def agree. DO NOT HACK THAT BOLT. You can also try flatening two sides of the bolt so that you can fit a box wrench on it so you have more leverage. Soak that thing down with some penetrating spray overnite and get the bolt out first and foremost. The bolt is def your problem and should be first on your list for removing. I'm quite sure once you get the bolt removed your rotor will come right off. Out of curiousity, how did the bolt get bent???

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,300 Posts
Everybody said the same thing over and over.
I'll just say x15 on the remove the bolt first, thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts