Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am a straggler in the rotor group buy - just had my 40k service done and need brakes/rotors...but WHICH ROTORS?!

I am ashamed to admit that I don't have the tools necessary to remove the wheel and simply look for a P/N or measure... I'm hoping that a more-knowledgeable Dubber can help:

2001 old-style B5 GLX 4Motion Variant
relevant VIN 3B2 1E0

Front rotors - 288mm or 312mm? (I *think* 288)
Rears - standard 245mm or some kind of 4mo-only special rear rotors?

I want to do the S_Klass group buy, but want to be sure I get the right parts -- any help would be greatly appreciated -- THANKS!

·
Registered
965 Posts
288x25 is the standard size.
You can upgrade to the 312mm size if you buy the pad carriers from an Audi TT. (roughly $140ea).

ecs and purems offer kits with rotors and carriers for the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You probably have the 288 fronts and the 245 rears like most Passats. To check without any fancy tools, take two straightedges like two rulers and hold them flat across opposite edges of the rotor through the wheels. then have a friend measure between the straightedges on the outside of the wheel while you are holding them. You'll know the difference between 11.1, 11.3, and 12.3 pretty quick.

Good luck,

Carl III

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ckatkinson said:
To check without any fancy tools, take two straightedges like two rulers and hold them flat across opposite edges of the rotor through the wheels. then have a friend measure between the straightedges on the outside of the wheel while you are holding them.
Great suggestion! This explains why I am not an engineer -- thanks!

00Psst - does the Bentley make any mention of different rear discs for the '01 4Mo Wagon? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I actually just checked the Bentley for you again because I hadn't noticed that you had the 4 Mo the first time I replied. I am assuming you have the V6 since you've got the 4Mo. Here's what it says for you:

2001MY, 2.8L, 4Mo

Front brake disc = 312mm x 25mm
Rear brake disc = 256mm x 22mm

Sorry about the confusion before.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No group buy then for me most likely :sad:

Luckily, ECS pricing is still quite reasonable.

Thanks for the help! Now to confirm with some nifty measurement techniques...

Varies Widely

---
Okay - I manufactured a caliper measuring tool:
288mm fronts
245mm rears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.