Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
OEM seems to be cheaper than either and look well built.
Not gonna install mine til spring hits though.

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
And there is 3 sets for sale in the classifieds as we speak. My only hangup is the OEM stand taller then Thule or Yakima
\
VW needs to make a faring (SP?) for their bars

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
The two reasons I didn't go with a VW rack:

1. limited attachments
2. only fits VW

Thule and Yakima are pretty comparable to each other, all things considered.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
OEM looks best- the others, nice as I know they are too, just look too 'aftermarket' for my tastes. I need to grab one of those OEM racks out of the Classifieds soon...

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
i've always liked the aerodymanic plate in the front of some aftermarket racks. it makes the whole car look better with the racks on car without load. too bad oem doesnt offer this.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I have the oem's. I like the look. But they are noisy. Somewhat less noisy with rack pads. Agree that a spoiler/wind deflector would be nice. I saw one on a post here or on vortex - the guy had attachd a thule or yakima deflector to his oem rack. If I thought I had half the talent, I'd try it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you don't have a sunroof you can adapt the thule fairings to work, you need to get some of the aero-bar hardware. In fact with aero-bar hardware jsut about any Thue add-on will work with the OEM load bars. with a sunroof the fairing is not a great fit, but possible if you fab some brackets.

I liked the OEM because of the clean fit/finish (no "generic" bars sticking out of the sides), nice finish caps, and locks are included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts