Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PROJECT 1998 1.8T

Hey everyone, :bow:

I've been reading the forums on club b5 since 2001 and recently registered after the 98 colorado red 1.8t 5 speed was passed down from my pops to myself. Its got tan cloth interior, a sunroof, 6 disc changer, 15" steelies and its fair share of dings and chips on the grill and hood. However plain looking, its a blast to drive. I have high hopes for the car, so maintenance is my first priority. Im not driving it until I replace the timing belt, which is still original after 103,xxx miles :mad:

That, a tear in the front left cv boot, and an ABS/ break warning light that mysteriously started showing after a free oil change at midas also add to my reluctance to drive the car.

The project will start on sunday with the installation of the ECS tuning cv boot replacment kit, bosch 710N diverter valve, k&n air filter, cabin filter and NB sunglasses holder :wink: I'm hoping that the ABS/ brake warning light is a result of the left front sensor either being knocked loose or being hit by debris, that way I would be able to fix it by cleaning it off or reconnecting it. I need to run a VAG-com to check and clear the codes, so I ordered the bentley manual. Theres a database for VAGcom owners in the info forum if I'm not mistaken, so hopefully I'll find some help.

Once that goes sucessfully, I'll be ready to replace the timing belt tensioner/tensioner roller, idle roller, water pump, thermostat, a/c belt, p/s belt, alternator belt, and maybe even do the cam seals, snub mounts, and a lightweight crank pulley. I'm pretty sure the car has been running rich in the last few k miles, as it has had the original DV all 103,xxx. I'll check and probably replace the spark plugs, fuel filter and vacuum hoses. Beyond that maybe an n75J valve and a boost gauge. Stock clutch shows no sign of slipping!

I'd like to recover from this then do suspension. Theres been some great deals in the group buy forum for springs and shocks, I'd like to see some sway bar GB's. Theres also been some great wheels for sale in classifieds, but suspension first (unless i get a deal i just can't pass up :D ). After wheels, depending on how the engine is running, 1.0 bar chip and possibly exhaust and brakes.

Pictures coming when theres something to look at.

Robin
---------------------------------------
--------------
Feb 20 - odo 163000 Oil changes every 2000-3000. Oil cooler, valve cover gasket and cam chain tensioner replaced in fall 07. Alignment, BG EFI service, brake flush, brakes, engine fan viscous clutch, A/C restrictor valve, recharge, timing belt, tensioner, bearing, roller, crank seal, waterpump belt, serpentine belt and lower cover gasket replaced Feb 08. Power steering flush, clutch, trans mounts coming soon!

---------------
July 16 - odo 151500 Oil and filter changes at 140k, 142500, 145k, 148500, 151500. Neuspeed 28mm Rear sway bar added last winter. Coolant temp sensor replaced in spring 07.

-----------------
October 24 - odo 139910 DIY 140K service coming soon: Auto RX maintnence dose, oil change, snub mount bracket alignment, seafoam in gas, tire rotation, spark plugs, air filter, serpentine belt tensioner and belt, coolant temp sensor, cam chain tensioner and gasket, valve cover gasket, throttle body cleaning and gasket, heretic suspension reassembly with stock front springs and adjustable bilstein sport shocks on low perch, alignment.

August 11 - odo 136200 Oil changes at 122k, 126k, 130k, 133k and 136k miles with Chevron 10w-40. Air filter recharge at 125k. Replaced tires @ 130k with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Pcv system replaced @ 125k. V6 Motor Mounts installed w/ stock snub mount @ 132k.

----------
August 17 - odo 119600 Long time no update... Reset Bilstein shocks to the neutral perch in Feb. Got an alignment @ EF1 in Signal Hill soon thereafter, then changed oil to 20w-50 at 15k miles. Changed oil again at 119k miles, no oil leakage at all since the oil change at 115k. Installed an autometer dual pillar pod with separate VDO boost and vacuum gauges before summer. Installed 16" B5 A4 wheels with 225/50 92w yokohama es100 tires @ 118k. Next project is to replace motor mounts and pcv valves.

January 26 - odo 113250 8 New CA's, both TRE's, both sway links, and new springs and shocks at all 4 corners. Running Eibach springs and adjustable Bilstein sports with the perch set one notch below neutral. CA, sway link and shock mount bushings were torqued to spec with the full weight of the vehicle on the wheels resting on ramps. The upper control arms were set with 42mm from the front edge of the mounting plate to top of the front upper CA. After putting the car back on the ground, I was glad to have cut the top of the bump stops about 1.5cm, as they now fit perfectly into the upper strut assembly with the car on the ground. The project is underway...

January 5 - odo 112550 Rinse cycle almost complete, ordered hardware kit for new suspension components. New CA's, TRE's, sway links, springs, struts, Chas bar and wheels coming soon. Plus the boost/vacuum gauge set up (and new ABS control unit:()

----------------------------
November 14 - Rinse cycle started at 110604 miles on 11/10, fuel filter replaced on 11/12, added a bottle of techron on 11/13. Ordered vdo boost & vacuum gauges for dual a pillar pod. Did some VAG-COM logs to troubleshoot suspected bad MAF, results checked out alright, reading ~120g/s at 6000rpm on stock AEB ecu.

November 3 - odo 110550 Suspension is delivered and ready to install! Auto rx rinse cycle coming soon. Before and after pictures coming soon.

October 25 - odo 110400 The throttle body is nice and shiny. :bow: VAG-COM rules! I got a deal on some late 90's audi 2.8 16" 5 spokes with used 225/50/16 dunlops. Auto rx rinse cycle in 200 miles counting down... Front left axle installation coming soon, I need to get my core charge back from pep boys :crazy: Soon after that eibach springs and Neuspeed struts will be installed along with all new control arms and tie rod ends.

September 20 - Was greeted by a rough idle and solid MIL when starting the car... sent in the VAG-COM order to Ross Tech. Corrected with a TBA.

September 11 - Changed oil and filter, started AutoRX cleaning phase with castrol gtx 10-30: 109108 miles on the odometer. Debadged early in the summer. Another cv boot replacement needed. New tie rods and struts coming soon? ABS warning light not resolved... looking into VAG-COM software for a PDA.

June 12 - Replaced split cv boot and installed s4 fender liner.

June 10 - Installed new ICM and Diehard International battery, rough idle is history.

June 3 - Awaiting delivery of ICM, contacted some local VAG-COM help to pull codes, ordered an s4 fender liner. Thinking about installing gauges, leaning toward boost, egt and oil pressure combo from 42 draft designs, requiring a double din conversion. Suspension should happen at the same time. In the meantime waxed and polished the paint and got some back to black on the trim.

May 27- Car is out of commision until the dead ICM is replaced and the source of a light oil leak is identified. cv boot replacement and ABS sensor fix coming soon after that. Suspension and a turbo timer/ boost gauge are future projects.

May 2 - Replaced all the belts, tb tensioner, thermostat, water pump, diverter valve, vacuum hose, air filter, cabin filter, coolant and spark plugs this weekend. The car is running excellent. Now to replace the cv boots and possibly swap sides on the cv joints to get more life out of them if they dont need replacing.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Welcome...I can't believe you held out this long..so you've just been browsing the forums for 3yrs and never registered? That has to be a record.. :nervous:

btw, still waiting on the infamous member who welcomes all the ladies.. :suspicio:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thumber said:
Welcome...I can't believe you held out this long..so you've just been browsing the forums for 3yrs and never registered? That has to be a record.. :nervous:

btw, still waiting on the infamous member who welcomes all the ladies.. :suspicio:
ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
hi man wassup this is dennis from newport..how ami suppose to know that i have brake sensor on my 99 ,do yuo have any idea?i called and ask to mckenna the guy told me no but on the internet when iwas looking for brake pads some comes with sensor... :crazy:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All B5's go to heaven.. eventually. Mine's not there just yet: 256k miles so far and she's not quitting! LaHondaB5.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
nibor82
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing