Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
LOVE IT!!!!
That is my exact car! Northern Green with Grey Anthracite Leather and wood trim.
This is my 3rd Passat TDI, 2 B-4's still have a 96 B4 Passat TDI and it is a great car!
The B5.5 is so much more refined than the old car.
There are some problems though...... Very bad Lag and a stumble at speed.
VW says it is the very bad US Diesel fuel. :b5: :D

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
The 2004.5 Passat TDI consumes an EPA estimated fuel economy of 38 MPG on the highway and 27 mpg in the city.
can someone please explain to me what is soooo great about these numbers...?

i've been getting about 22mpg out of my 1.8T with less than 700 miles on it... and it's not even chipped yet, which will increase consumption, or at least it did in my MKIV...

the 247lb-ft of tourque sure is inviting, but with the chip i'll be at that with the 1.8T anyhow...

and incase you haven't noticed, Diesel fuel is not "cheap" by any means...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Diesel fuel is $1.80/gallon by me. The effective range on the Passat TDI is in the neighborhood of 600 miles, courtesy of the EPA estimated MPG.

Now you can also take the 2.0 TDI in the Passat and chip it as well, once chips are available. I would expect the 2.0 TDI chipped to be making 300+ lb-ft of torque and maybe 170 hp. (Complete guesstimates on my part, but not far fetched IMHO.) All the while the MPG chipped will still remain in the upper 30's.

I am not sure what needs to be explained about the numbers. 38mpg > 22mpg. If you are seeing 320 miles per tank then the TDI is seeing over 570 miles per tank. Less trips to the gas station for less expensive fuel. Since the TDI is a mere $205 more expensive then the gasser it means more mod money in your pocket.

A 20 cent difference between diesel and gas may only be $3.00 or so at the pump, but you are at the pump twice while a TDI is there once.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
rpaller said:
I am not sure what needs to be explained about the numbers. 38mpg > 22mpg. If you are seeing 320 miles per tank then the TDI is seeing over 570 miles per tank. Less trips to the gas station for less expensive fuel. Since the TDI is a mere $205 more expensive then the gasser it means more mod money in your pocket.

A 20 cent difference between diesel and gas may only be $3.00 or so at the pump, but you are at the pump twice while a TDI is there once.
you're skewing the numbers... i said 22 city and you throw in the 38 highway number from the TDI... city is only 27...

Diesel and Premium are basically the same price all the time, considering diesel take more refinement...

the TDI is carries a couple grand premium over the gasoline couterpart so the saving wouldn't even out until a few years after ownership, not to mention for people who live in cold climates, they can be bothersome in the winter months...

to each his own... 8)

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
correction the TDI only carries a $1280 premiuim over the gasoline brethern, but you aren't going to be haggling prices on the TDI, whereas you can walk out of the dealer with a GLS 1.8T for a few hundred bucks over invoice...

·
Registered
521 Posts
i've always seen diesel to be less expensive than premium gas...
if you drive a lot, as in about 400 miles a week, you visit the gas station once a week. that little difference adds up, plus you wouldn't be going to the gas station as often. it's all a matter of opinion though, so it doesn't matter how many statistics you vomit up, it all lies in what value we see in those statistics. and in that respect, no one is right

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Even at a $1200 premium, it will pay for itself at the pump. The TDI is still getting 50-70 miles more per tank in city driving at $0.30 cheaper per gallon then your gasser.

When low sulfur diesel finally makes it to the pumps here in the United States I can see it costing as much as premium gas for the additional refinement, although I see the trucking industry putting up a fight to keep the price as low as possible.

Maybe a hybrid Escape or Prius would be more advantagous to your driving style since they do much better in city driving then they do on the freeway.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Steven drove his crappy little 2.0 for 8 years. It got about 25mpg overall. The new TDI gets about 39 overall (nearly all city), so we have about a 50% improvement in mileage. Couple that with Diesel costing about $0.10 less than regular (even less in the south), and we have a healthy cost savings that paid off half the TDI premium at 20K miles. At 40K, we will be in the clear, and everything else will be gravy. When you consider that Diesel motors last about twice as long as gassers, the payoff is quite nice!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
tomo366 said:
There are some problems though...... Very bad Lag and a stumble at speed.
VW says it is the very bad US Diesel fuel. :b5: :D
tom-
glad you mentioned this. I was behind an 04 Passat Wagon TDI and a sedan at different times last week, they were smoking like pigs under naything but light throttle.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Whereas the quality of the diesel in the US causes problems for the TDI, in europe where we have "good quality" diesel the TDI behaves in a much smoother way.

Lag is almost not perceived and there is no issue with stubling.

Also, due to the power & torque characteristics of the engine it will in fact leave most similar powered gassers in it's wake.

And most importantly there is NO noticable smoke at any speed with good quality fuel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a Passat TDI GLS about 6 weeks ago...the premium for the TDI over the 1.8T was $207 list price. On a couple of trips of about 380 miles, with an 85/15 mix of highway (at 75 mph) and city (bog slow) the car has turned over 39 mpg. It's a stunningly good highway cruiser :bow: ...I'm used to diesels having owned Mercedes and Puegeot diesels since 1991 and this car is far and away the most sophisticated and driveable of them all.

But for blasting around town, my 1.8T Beetle is still tops :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
A-Tiller-the hun said:
you're skewing the numbers... i said 22 city and you throw in the 38 highway number from the TDI... city is only 27...

Diesel and Premium are basically the same price all the time, considering diesel take more refinement...

the TDI is carries a couple grand premium over the gasoline couterpart so the saving wouldn't even out until a few years after ownership, not to mention for people who live in cold climates, they can be bothersome in the winter months...

to each his own... 8)
Let's inject this thread with some facts

First of all the premium for a TDI is about $500 CDN over an automatic 1.8T. Since in my case I wanted an automatic (commuting in heavy stop-and-go traffic, our Jetta is manual for the "fun" factor), the premium is not "a couple of grand" on a equipment-equivalent basis.

As for mileage: Transport Canada says 22 city for the 1.8T, and 27 for the Passat TDI. Highway is 33 for the 1.8T and 42 for the TDI (I converted Imperial to US gallons; for some reason TC rates the highway mileage higher than the EPA and my experience has been closer to the TC number than the US EPA number).

Diesel fuel prices vary but generally in my part of the world, it's about the same as premium unleaded in winter, but lower than regular unleaded in summer. Right now it's running 0.5 cents/liter higher than regular unleaded. I looked at some averages over the year and in general it is safe to say that diesel and regular unleaded average out to the same thing over a 1 year period. So for the sake of argument let's say $0.935 per liter ($3.54 CDN per US gallon, or about $2.87 US here in Quebec).

Now, my experience has been that I meet the EPA/Transport Canada numbers. I generally average about 35-36 mpg on a 620 mile weekly commute that includes 75 mph freeway and about 10 miles of stop-and-go rush-hour traffic. My average is slightly above the average of city/highway.

In a 1.8T I would be using premium fuel which averages higher than diesel over a 1 year period (the boost in diesel prices in winter is tied to heating oil demand; same refinery base stock). I would be getting 27 mpg average instead of 35 (also, those numbers are over winter; bought the car in October '04). I have also easily beat the TC highway number of 42 mpg on a long trip. And not by driving at well under the speed limit, rather, at 70 mph.

Every week, my commute costs me about $63 in my TDI. In a 1.8T, it would cost me (with premium running about $1 per liter) an average of $85.50 to do the same drive. I would lose about 180 miles of range (currently I can just about do all 5 days of commuting on a single tank if I'm careful). Each week the privilege of driving the 1.8T would cost me $22. Times 48 weeks a year (factoring in vacation, etc), works out to $1056 in savings per year. And that does not include the other driving I do. I put on an average of 60,000 km/year (36,000 miles). Even someone doing half as much, would recoup his savings (in CDN $) within a year. Compared to a manual 1.8T (figuring a $2000 price difference), the payback is 2 years but I would never chose a manual for the type of commuting I do.

We also have a TDI Jetta wagon (manual) with the 100 PD engine. It averages 45 mpg. Sees over 50 mpg on long highway drives. An automatic Jetta is not so much more economical than our Passat.

Overall, we're believers.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
i'd say DRIVE ONE!!!they are much better to drive...when you punch the throttle(at ANY engine revs)it'll pin you in your seat.runs out of steam at 4k but torque is where its at.
ps i own a 1.8t and had an oil burner while it was in for a day.power @2000rpm is infinately more usable than higher up the rev range(1.8t)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with the tdi. I have an 04.5 tdi wagon with a chip, exhaust, bigger inner cooler and a big bore intake. Even with 20'' wheels I can lite the tires up from a stand still and my best milege i've seen is 45mpg on the hi-way and I found diesel is cheaper at truck stops than at the gas stations

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.