Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden this big-ass orange road sign fell on the hood of my car. It was a sign that warns of two lanes merging into one. It took out my lower right grill and left a bunch of scratches on my hood and all along the front right side of my car. Do I have to pay for this shit or is the city liable for such accidents?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Should be liable unless you nailed the post holding the sign. Seems more clear cut than a pothole case. Did you take pics? Expect the city to give you the runaround though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't hit the post. I don't know what caused it to tip over. It's not really windy outside. I was behind a semi truck at the time and I'm thinking when he passed the sign it caused it to become unstable. I didn't take any pics, I didn't even stop until I got to work. It didn't sound like it hit my hood that hard so I thought the damage would be just a few scratches on the hood...not a big deal. But then I got to work and noticed I was missing my lower grille and some big orange scratches on my bumper. F*ck, I should of stopped and called the po-po. It probably isn't even worth my time to try to get the city to pay for it. I think I'm just gonna take the hit and fix it myself.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I didn't hit the post. I don't know what caused it to tip over. It's not really windy outside. I was behind a semi truck at the time and I'm thinking when he passed the sign it caused it to become unstable. I didn't take any pics, I didn't even stop until I got to work. It didn't sound like it hit my hood that hard so I thought the damage would be just a few scratches on the hood...not a big deal. But then I got to work and noticed I was missing my lower grille and some big orange scratches on my bumper. F*ck, I should of stopped and called the po-po. It probably isn't even worth my time to try to get the city to pay for it. I think I'm just gonna take the hit and fix it myself.
first thing you should have done was call police to file a report,otherwise you might be SOL,you could srtill try it,you cant lose nothing

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah the first thing I would have done is file a report with the police. A lot of times those signs and stuff are setup by the contractors, not the city, so it may be a private company that can be held liable for the damage for not properly setting up the sign.

Then I'd be all over that companies ass.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I figured I might be SOL since I didn't take immediate action. I'm going find out who is responsible for the sign and explain to them what happened. But if they're unwilling to pay for the damages I'm not going to push it any further. I'll just replace the lower grill and have the scratches touched up when I paint my lowers in the spring.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I always keep one of those disposable cameras in the car just for those times.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The City will not pay. If it was set up by a contractor they might be liable. Do you have full coverage insurance? File a claim and the insurance co. will go after the liable parties. If they can't get someone to pay they should consider it and act of nature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts