Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any modifications to reduce/eliminate these 2 in a B5.5 passat? I need some ideas folks. Please help

·
Registered
145 Posts
More info would be good bro! Are you talking about a specific noise you're hearing? If so, where is it coming from? Car/Engine? Did you try a search? :thumbup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
More info would be good bro! Are you talking about a specific noise you're hearing? If so, where is it coming from? Car/Engine? Did you try a search? :thumbup:

I think he's specifically talking about road and wind noise. I'm not an expert, but I think the road noise comes from the road and the wind noise comes from the wind? :poke:

In other words, I got nothing to contribute to this thread :( I have an 02 and it is noisy compared to other cars.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Some tires are quieter than others on the road. I'm happy with the lower tire noise from the Michelin Pilot Exhaltos.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Passat is the quietest car I've ever owned...until the tree fell on it and messed up the driver's door and pillar. I'm gonna have to get that fixed real soon.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Take a ride in a Toyota Matrix XRs - then get back in your Passat.
The noise won't bother you any more!
So true, talk about noisy and uncomfortable. The Accords also have more road noise than the Passat. But the road noise can also be the kind of tires that you have. The Passat sedans have a class leading cd of 0.27 as opposed to the wagons that are either 0.29 or 0.30. Having things like a roof rack and the cross members can also attribute to wind noise. My sister's 06' Lexus IS250 is also a very noisy on the freeway, not so with the Passat which is much quieter.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Passat does seem to create a lot of wind noise around 80mph
Fold in the mirrors?
I suggest just going at WOT, then yoiu just hear engine :p

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
The stock tires are (or should be) pretty quiet. I have 17" Toyo Proxes FZ1 and I really can't tell much of a difference. They may be a slighty noisier but not by much. The quality of the road surface also plays a role.

I do get some wind noise on the highway, maybe its a seal issue, but all mine seem ok. Not sure what to do about that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Definitely post more info so we can help you out -- no idea what your question is, really.

The Passat is generally a very solid and quiet car. I have similar to stock tires and they are so quiet on the road I rarely hear tire noise. Buying cheap tires is a big mistake if you're looking for a quiet ride.

I think wind noise might SEEM loud in the Passat because that is really the only noise you hear when cruising along. Mine doesn't rattle much, the structure of the car is very solid, so in comparison the wind noise seems loud. But like others have said, just get in another car and then hop in your Passat and you will realize it is very quiet (unless yours is different from most for some reason).

Test your door seals for tightness by closing a $1 bill vertically in the door. If you can move the bill along the door seam then you might want to look into your rubber seals and see if they need conditioning or replacement.

A loaded trunk makes my car MUCH quieter. I'm thinking about taking out the trunk liner and putting a full dynamat treatment just to cut down on road noise. Perhaps something like that would help?

You can also buy quieting insulation (like what is under your carpet @ home, but specifically for cars) that goes in your trunk and pretty much anywhere you can stuff it to cut down on road noise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not that mine is noisy but i was just wondering if there are ways to make it quietter. i'm definately gonna look into the tires as some of you mentionned.

Any recommendations on the tires by the way? What shoudl i look for? Any specific brands work better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts