Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I met with the Reg Tech Mgr from VWoA the the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. He tried a few things and asked me if I could go on my trip over the weekend and if the Nav/Radio locks up again, they will replace the unit. This is a list of the items he did.

1.Turned autoplay with the bluetooth.
2.Turned HD Radio off
3.Turned off the click noise it makes when you type in addresses or touch the screen

His advice was this should help free up resources that are causing the slowness or lockups when the unit powers up after a engine start.. He states that when all of these commands try to execute all at the same time, it can cause slowness and/or lockups. I did however explained that the lockups/freezes not only happen at times when starting up but during driving while in route to a destination as well as the no sound at times when starting up the car, but regain sound once I power the unit off then back on.. Although I feel the unit is bad/defected and should be replaced, I will cooperate and give this a shot and go on my road trip and will advise either way this Monday... That is the latest...

· Registered
6 Posts
I had a problem with my RNS 510 locking up when the car was about 6 mos old.
First time it happened it was about 30 mins into driving on a very cold morning on I-85 in NC. We had overnighted in Greensboro. It was about a 5 min drive to get on I-85, and I had warmed the engine for 5 mins before driving. (It was about 10F that morning) After about 20 mins on the Interstate the RNS locked up and the radio (which was on Sirius) went dead. Trying to shut it off did nothing initially. I stopped the car, shut off motor, then started it back up. Finally it started coming back to life.

In the next 40 mins it went dead about 5 times. Finally I figured out that no matter what I did it took 6-8 mins for it to shut itself off and re-boot back full operation.
Within an hour it finally operated normal without any more problems for the rest of that 7 hour drive, and for many weeks.....no problem at all.

I reported to the VW dealership at the next service. Normal response......"never had that problem before".

Then 10,000 miles later, when I was enroute to the dealership for the next service, it did it again.... just once in a 2 hour drive. This time I knew to just leave it alone and it was reboot itself. That was 20,000 miles ago, and it has not happen since.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a problem with my RNS 510 locking up when the car was about 6 mos old.
First time it happened it was about 30 mins into driving on a very cold morning on I-85 in NC. We had overnighted in Greensboro. It was about a 5 min drive to get on I-85, and I had warmed the engine for 5 mins before driving. (It was about 10F that morning) After about 20 mins on the Interstate the RNS locked up and the radio (which was on Sirius) went dead. Trying to shut it off did nothing initially. I stopped the car, shut off motor, then started it back up. Finally it started coming back to life.

In the next 40 mins it went dead about 5 times. Finally I figured out that no matter what I did it took 6-8 mins for it to shut itself off and re-boot back full operation.
Within an hour it finally operated normal without any more problems for the rest of that 7 hour drive, and for many weeks.....no problem at all.

I reported to the VW dealership at the next service. Normal response......"never had that problem before".

Then 10,000 miles later, when I was enroute to the dealership for the next service, it did it again.... just once in a 2 hour drive. This time I knew to just leave it alone and it was reboot itself. That was 20,000 miles ago, and it has not happen since.

my lockups started a month after I bought the car. And after months, weeks, emails, calls and visits the unit has been replaced.. Went from Revision N to Revision P.. The system is still slow and very laggy, but no freezes so far with the radio and satellite radio.. I have a trip next month and we will find out about the Nav and I had to cancel my trip this past month.. I just think the RNS-510 is the worse infotainment system.. Lack of processing power, RAM and a archaic OS leaves it less to be desired for..

· Registered
64 Posts
my lockups started a month after I bought the car. And after months, weeks, emails, calls and visits the unit has been replaced.. Went from Revision N to Revision P.. The system is still slow and very laggy, but no freezes so far with the radio and satellite radio.. I have a trip next month and we will find out about the Nav and I had to cancel my trip this past month.. I just think the RNS-510 is the worse infotainment system.. Lack of processing power, RAM and a archaic OS leaves it less to be desired for..
I generally agree with everything you said here. BUT, it's better than what I had before and I only use it when needed. If I just plug in the address, unless there's a direct route to the destination, it will usually take me the long way, but checking with google maps and finding a short route, I typically start out with the initial google directions, and the RNS510 unit will pick it up after about the 5th or 6th time is tells me to turn around and go the other way. It's actually quite good at telling when to turn, what lane to be in, etc. A couple times I second guessed it and turned before I was supposed to - I'm not good a judging distances.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I generally agree with everything you said here. BUT, it's better than what I had before and I only use it when needed. If I just plug in the address, unless there's a direct route to the destination, it will usually take me the long way, but checking with google maps and finding a short route, I typically start out with the initial google directions, and the RNS510 unit will pick it up after about the 5th or 6th time is tells me to turn around and go the other way. It's actually quite good at telling when to turn, what lane to be in, etc. A couple times I second guessed it and turned before I was supposed to - I'm not good a judging distances.

Do you have your nav set to 3 alt routes?

· Registered
64 Posts
I checked and have it set for the fastest route. Funny though, it over estimates the amount of time to arrive. I even double check the route on google maps, and it shows it as a longer route in both miles and time than the original route google maps proposed.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked and have it set for the fastest route. Funny though, it over estimates the amount of time to arrive. I even double check the route on google maps, and it shows it as a longer route in both miles and time than the original route google maps proposed.
Gotcha. I have mine set for 3 alt routes so when I put in the address, I get to pick which route I want.. there are times the time is wrong and the system left me astray before.. When it comes to Nav/infotainment systems, the Asian based cars have it.. VW is just slow and behind and don't seem to care about being innovative at all. VW seems more reactive than proactive when it comes to this endeavor.. well good luck with your system.. its gotten to the point I hardly do anything with it because its flat out terrible...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.