Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1636 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys been lurking here for awhile now. I just bought a 99, 1.8t Passat and this car is alot of firsts for me. My first 5 spd, My first Turbo, and my first VDub. My plans once I get it are to throw some nice 16s on it and a set of coilovers and lower it nicely. Then drive around for a year while I save and plan my next mods. :lol:

Unfortunately the PO decided to paint the running boards and the grill silver so I'm gonna have to fix all that along with a couple other ghetto mods that were performed. I've been looking around but haven't noticed alot of exterior mods available for this car? or can the A4 exterior mods or strut bars be used??

here's my inspiration:

Update
99 Passat AEB 1.8T

Mods
Engine:
Forge 007 DV
Upsolute 94 Octane chipped ECU
Aftermarket downpipe
K&N air filter

Interior
Dual gauge A-Pillar pod
Boost gauge, Oil pressure gauge
Swap seats and interior trim to black peices
B5.5 Center console and shift boot
LED Dome, Map lights and rear over door lighst(Red)
LED puddle lights(White), License(Blue/UV)
Swap rear deck for black material and non sun shade
Chrome door pulls
Future:
Re-upholster headliner in black vinyl
Stainless steel passat door sills

Exterior
Clear headlights/indicator w/ tinted laminex
Badgeless grill or Blacked out VW badged OEM grill
Paint matched lowers
Short antennae
Clear sidemarkers
Nightshade tinted tails
Color matched side mirror trim

Suspension/Wheels
19x8.5 RS4 reps
General Exclaim UHP 225/35/19 tires
KW Variant 2 Coilovers, one notch past 50% dampening
2 point front strut brace

ICE
Playboy bunny vinyl sticker on the rear window

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase!:) As to your question about exterior mods, there are plenty, just look around you will easily find them. A good solution to your "running boards" or lowers as they are called here would be to color match them to your car. It is a very popular mod and it looks great. Here is a good thread to see some great exterior mods: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187858&highlight=old+school

Before you get started on mods, just make sure your car is in tip top shape. The 1.8t has two major Achilles heels, sludge and timing belts. The timing belt should be changed at around 60,000miles and if you don't have records of it being changed you should do so ASAP. It may seen expensive, but doing this will save you literally thousands of dollars considering the engine damage that could result. Also, if you haven't already switch to a VW approved synthetic oil and start an Auto-RX treatment if you don't have oil records to prevent sludge. Not trying to scare you by any means, just letting you know!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah I've been trolling seen all the sludge things. So before I get it home I'm gonna get a general tune up which is oil and filter, sparkplugs maybe coil and wires and timing belt and water pump. I don't pay labor cause my dad is a mechanic LOL so only parts. I'm definately getting the lowers painted body matched thanks for the link, and I've already ordered a badgeless grill and hopefully some nuespeed sways. Barriepassat I probably will PM you since you're in Canada and can probably point me in the right direction on alot of questions. :lol:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Hey! Welcome to PW! Glad to see another passat owner in Toronto! I've seen a couple of modified B5's and they look amazing! Can't wait to see the transformation! Barriepassat, are you near AMI motorsports?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know but yet I never see any passats when I'm on the road. I noticed someone posted pics taken at the wall behind keele subway station. I'm so excited to get home dammit I gotta get a haynes or bentley so I can see how to get the grill off and get my grill on.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update
Well last weekend I set out to put on my JOM Badgeless, completely debadge the car, the previous owner left an S on the trunk, remove the silver duct tape the previous owner put around the lock tabs trying to simulate chrome lock tabs, and change the blue side markers and turn signals which are illegal.

Before

Zoom to the ghetto painted grill

JOM badgeless didn't work so had to paint it back to black

Car cleaned with black grill

Previous Owner couldn't finish the job

Completed the debadging process

The badgeless was for B5.5 so just painted my grill and antennae black, the PO thought silver was a good accent color :crazy: I've been sourcing the B5.5 shift boot and ebrake handle to put in my B5.5 center console this weekend. Then got stock front grill and valence, side lowers from a smashed passat so this week I will get rid of all the silver lowers and back to stock. I plan to get the silver lowers cleaned and painted while they're off the car body matched color and put them back on later. I wanna finish up my debadging job by getting the remainder of crap left behind by the S wash the trunk and put on my "Turbo" badging :biglaugh: Stay tuned for more pics

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL thanks guys, yesterday it was warm enough that I popped off the lowers that are attached to the doors and put them on it looked so much better. This weekend it's the sideskirts and possibly the front grills and valence.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah last owner did it and my dad checked it over but at the end of the month I'm doing a tune up, oil change, timing belt, water pump along with alot of other reversal of ghetto mods LOL although this weekend I installed the stock lowers and grills will update the thread tonight or tomorrow from work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you know any ship in GTA can install the timing belt and water pump?

I am having trouble with finding a good shop for right price.
Since most shops i've talked to charge around $450 labour to install the timing belt kit.

But after a search here, i guess reasonable price is around 300-350$ for labour.

Since precious motorsport also charge 700$ part and labour.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know of a place so if you still want the info PM me. I am trying to upload my updated pics with the work from the weekend but imageshak is not working grrrrr so I'll try again after lunch.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Updated :D

Still waiting on my shift boot and ebrake handle to put in my B5.5 center console. So far these are my next mods

Clear side markers
Booste gauge
Replace engine cover
Replace broken side moulding
Paint lowers on rear bumper
Install stock lower front valence

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Hey 2L Dub Pimp, good job on the lowers! Looks much better! btw, what did u do with the old silver side valances? I was wondering if those would fit a b5.5 because i have a project in mind for this summer. let me know.

1 - 20 of 1636 Posts