Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... series of unfortunate events today...
got another CEL two weeks after taking it in to the shop to get fixed for error code P0431 (catylist below threshold bank 2)
and.. well...
basically, they said that the cat converter had gone bad. and advised changing it.
FOR $1400!! (just the bank 2!)
then we decide to take it to midas. their touch wouldn't hurt too bad.
they gave us a more indepth rundown of what was going on. apparently my engine is running rich, they mentioned the MAF being possibly bad and contributing to this. but because of the fuel going through the cat, my converter, which should never die, did so.
they also told me that it wasn't just one, but that both cats were bad. they puled out the infra red thermometer, and showed a highly noticeable difference between the front and rear of each cat.
blehg.

my costly car is even more costly. what should i do?

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow. hella lot better than the oem equipment price!
though, there is a benifit to it being stock parts, which is why i want to stay as such, for the most part.
the "total care" warranty i purchased for the car states that parts broken through chain of events caused by a covered part of a car, within maintenance normal schedualing and care, are covered.

engine spews rich exhaust due to a covered part -> cats ruined -> new cats covered. or i think that's how it is.
parts of my warranty agreement are tripple negatived.

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^ If you are under 80,000 miles, it's covered under the federal emissions warranty. MAF is only one cause. So is a shorting coolant sensor which causes flooding.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
^^^^ if the dealer said $1400 wouldnt they know that its under goverment warranty ?
can you run a aftermarket cat?
is there a performance difference with the cel on?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
well... series of unfortunate events today...
got another CEL two weeks after taking it in to the shop to get fixed for error code P0431 (catylist below threshold bank 2)
and.. well...
basically, they said that the cat converter had gone bad. and advised changing it.
FOR $1400!! (just the bank 2!)
then we decide to take it to midas. their touch wouldn't hurt too bad.
they gave us a more indepth rundown of what was going on. apparently my engine is running rich, they mentioned the MAF being possibly bad and contributing to this. but because of the fuel going through the cat, my converter, which should never die, did so.
they also told me that it wasn't just one, but that both cats were bad. they puled out the infra red thermometer, and showed a highly noticeable difference between the front and rear of each cat.
blehg.

my costly car is even more costly. what should i do?
Wouldn't the oxygen sensor adjust for a bad MAF? Also, I thought bad MAFs usually threw CELs.

SirWired

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one would think. but the guy at midas, as i stated, shoed us out there, the temp differentiation between front and back. was way over 50 F (in difference from the start of the cat) on bank 2

also, that 80k warranty thing?
80600 ...
that's what i get for enjoying and toying around in my car too much, i guess... lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
I saw a can of "catalyitc converter Cleaner" at a local auto parts store. Has anyone ever used this stuff? If so does it work? You are supposed to put it in the gas tank and run a full tank thru it.

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was talking to the guy at midas. he said ther was no way to clean the cats.
which i can understand, if the crap is crystalized onto the honeycombs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^^^ 1) if the dealer said $1400 wouldnt they know that its under goverment warranty ?
2) can you run a aftermarket cat?
3) is there a performance difference with the cel on?
1) Not always. Sucks to only be over by 600 miles. We're already at 93,000.
2) Yes, some people run aftermarket cats. I'm looking at having a local guy cut out the old ones and put in Magnaflow 53005's which run about $70 each.
3) Not really. After a few days, it will likely turn itself off. These tend to be intermittent codes which clear themselves.

Oh yeah, one more thing - the local dealer wanted $3,600 for both cats installed. You can imagine what I told them.

Mike

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I highly recommend going with Magnaflow's OBDII high-flow catalytic converters to replace the bad one's on your Passat.

Here's the part numbers you may need:

1998-2003 1.8T's: 22935 (Direct Fit) or 53005 (Universal)

1998-1999 V6's: 22934 (Driver's Side) & 22933 (Passenger's Side) or 53005 (Universal for both sides)

2000-2003 V6's: 53005 (Universal for both sides)

* The direct-fit catalytic converters require no welding and are a little more expensive than the Universals.

I hope this helps and eliminates the drama of $3000+ price the dealership attempts to charge V6 owners for catalytic converter replacement. These units run between $170.00 and $250.00US each, but shop around..

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
372 Posts
^^Unfortunately, we both have B5.5's, so we have to use the universal Magnaflows. Not a big deal though. My local mechanic and I both had hysterics when I told him what the dealer wanted.

Mike

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea... branding is a bitch.
though, at this point, the case is being fully looked into at a RELIABLE dealership. we took it to where the previous cat was replaced (passenger side at 79k) park place VW. hopefully they'l do a better job than boardwalk.. they didn't seem like they knew what they were doing. "oh, just turn the CEL off, it'l be fine!" - steve, service manager.
the passenger side cat, if actually bad, will be replaced free of charge.
as for the driver side, if they find out that there is actually fault with it, caused by the engine, and they find proof, it WILL be covered by our exhause exclusive warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts