Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In last issue of U.K. magazine CAR I found info on confirmed deceision from Audi on 2006 model A4 with REAR wheel drive, to compete with BMW 3. Any other with additional info??

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That would definetly make things very different.......

Without FWD, what's there to complain about with the sexy-looking A4's!

·
0 Posts
I think i know why! read below to see where the urge to push is coming from!

Fiat's Maserati and VW Drifting Closer

Fiat's Maserati division and Volkswagen appear to be strengthening ties, with the Italian carmaker potentially sharing the architecture or platform components of the Quattroporte saloon with VW to possibly be the basis of a Volkswagen brand premium large car that could compete with the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes E-Class. The underpinnings of such a car has also been rumored to be the basis of the next Audi A6. The Quattroporte is a rear-drive car, and could represent a departure from Volkswagen-Audi's long-time front-drive orientation. VW executives have lately hinted that Chairman and CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder is interested in rear-drive vehicles being introduced to both VW and Audi brands. The Quattroporte sells for around 104,000 euros and is due in the U.S. this spring. The companies are looking for cooperation on multiple fronts including: Audi building the Maserati Kubang GT Wagon; Maserati getting access to Audi's Quattro technology; adding Maserati franchises to Audi franchises; and using Audi Financial Services to originate financing for Maserati vehicles. -Jim Burt

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
wouldn't that be an expensive switch?

The Quattro option accounts for most of their sales, so it wouldn't make sense to switch all their models (or at least just their popular A4 model) to RWD. The VW/Audi AG is in a major financial crunch already, so I don't think they could or would do that.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ya, financially it wouldn't make sense. I don't know about the europeans, but the average non-enthusiast american consumer who only prob wouldn't be able to tell the diff, unless it snowed a lot (inwhich case fwd would actually be an advantage). Making a rear driver also costs more, so it would drive up the costs overall to the consumer.

For the enthusiasts out there, i think they would be picking a bmw anyhow if they wanted a fun rwd semi-luxy euro car. bmw just has lot more experience w/ rwd, just like Audi has more experience developing awd. What would be fun to see, is if Audi developed a more sophisticated AWD setup, similar to nissan's ATTESA, where the car is primarily RWD, until the car begins to slip, and then it becomes fully AWD. I also like the DCCD from Subaru Sti, or the adjustable differentials & yaw control from the JDM EVO. There's really a lot more Audi can do to play with their Quattro technology w/out jumping on the RWD bandwagon.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
20vvillian said:
I think i know why! read below to see where the urge to push is coming from!

Fiat's Maserati and VW Drifting Closer

Fiat's Maserati division and Volkswagen appear to be strengthening ties, with the Italian carmaker potentially sharing the architecture or platform components of the Quattroporte saloon with VW to possibly be the basis of a Volkswagen brand premium large car that could compete with the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes E-Class. The underpinnings of such a car has also been rumored to be the basis of the next Audi A6. The Quattroporte is a rear-drive car, and could represent a departure from Volkswagen-Audi's long-time front-drive orientation. VW executives have lately hinted that Chairman and CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder is interested in rear-drive vehicles being introduced to both VW and Audi brands. The Quattroporte sells for around 104,000 euros and is due in the U.S. this spring. The companies are looking for cooperation on multiple fronts including: Audi building the Maserati Kubang GT Wagon; Maserati getting access to Audi's Quattro technology; adding Maserati franchises to Audi franchises; and using Audi Financial Services to originate financing for Maserati vehicles. -Jim Burt
The car you are refering to, the C1, has been shelved.

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=207420

And planning for the new BMW 5-series-rivaling C1 exec, which was originally going to be based on the rear-drive Maserati Quattroporte platform, is on hold. VW is now studying cheaper in-house platform alternatives.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
that would be a great thing :wink: the B6.5 could be a rear drive :poke:

·
Registered
936 Posts
it seems it would actually be VERY easy for them to do....

simply modify the Quattro transmission, eliminating the front and central diffs, beef up the rear end, prop shaft, and rear CV axles, and adjust the front suspension a little bit for RWD, and thats it...

they can even keep the conventional Quattro...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
ronaldmcdonald said:
What would be fun to see, is if Audi developed a more sophisticated AWD setup, similar to nissan's ATTESA, where the car is primarily RWD, until the car begins to slip, and then it becomes fully AWD.
That's what I'd like to see. :thumbup: AWD for practicality, rear-wheel bias for fun. Best of both worlds. Get me out of FWD Hell....please! :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
torsen quattro is by FAR the best system out there as far as durability...

the systems that use wet clutches, viscous couplings, and other "reactive" methods are simply worthless in the long run IMO....

look at chrysler's AWD in their minivans....you will eat a transfer case in about 5K miles if one of your tires is low... :suspicio:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The latest issue (Spring 04) of Quattro Quarterly also mentioned that . But it said "Audi is exploring making the next generation B chassis rear-drive." So that would be the B7 chasis...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
14 Participants
StormChaser404
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing