Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

revo ecu flash o.m.g!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
ecu flash omg revo
10K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  pete1 
#1 ·
:bowdown: hey all my b5 tiptronics peaple i just got back from GROSSMAN TUNING, i got the revo teckniks flash upgrade(in wich revo did not even have a file made yet for our car) any how i am the very first one to have it and i highly recomend it, myb boost is now 16+psi and is fast as hell and that is only stage 1, check out the website www.revotechnik.com/

i also am about to hookup my apexi tt today. wwwwwuuuuuhooooo!!!!!!!!!:Yikes: :D

#9 ·
chill man

:cool: well grossman wouldn't f*ck me over, and to creat a stable program they have to download whats in the ecu first, and i just checked out that old revo post and that was months ago and about posting no# i was going to ask next as to where is the cosest dyno to ky.:crazy: :poke:

#12 ·
So many pros and cons about Revo. I have been trying to get Revo to do a chip for my car for the past 2 years and nothing yet. I guess you can be glad about being the first one!.

As far as Revo, i heard a lot of good thru the people that i know, with MKIV and V GTI, 1.8T Jetta and GLI etc... . I never heard of an ECU getting messed up by the Revo software, and i know quit a few thru the shop that my friend owns.

For the GIAC/Revo deal, as far as i know, the two that started Revo use to work for GIAC so there is a lot of gossip of what happened etc. Personaly, i don't care. On the downside, i gave up on Revo, they don't really give a s*#t about the :b5: guys anyways, they said they don't see a market for it :rolleye:. I am doing a big turbo upgrade in the next few month and my software will not be Revo ;).

PS: This should not be in the dyno forum, that's for sure.

#22 ·
I will post my thoughts, having run REVO and GIAC in the same car. These are my observations. I will also share some facts about REVO, APR, and GIAC.

REVO - 3 years ago I go the flash. Power was there, but boost was all over the place and my car was not smooth at all. I did dyno the car and was pleased with the numbers, but the car was not enjoyable to drive. I did have to replace my turbo after 20K on the file. I can not blame the software completely, but it did seem related. Over boost and lean conditions can lead to high EGT's and cause damage to a turbo. Now this is an OLD REVO file and I hope that is has been revised.

GIAC - Very smooth, with no over boost spikes or throttle cut. I have had the current GIAC file for about 10K. Before that, the former version of the GIAC software was run for about 30K. I have Dyno number on the new GIAC File and they are better then the REVO file. Not a great deal better, but every little bit counts.

REVO and APR - First, no REVO tuner ever worked for GIAC. The founders of REVO worked for APR. They split and started REVO. APR in-turn sued REVO and won. The settlement allowed REVO to continue to stay in business and sell their product, however there is a revenue sharing agreement with APR. Also REVO dealers that are in a large enough market are also able to sell APR. ECode Tuning is a great example of this.

REVO Trial Software - I have some experiance here too. I have some customers that have had trial software that once it ended cause a huge drop in MPG. It also has caused some cars to fail emissions testing. One car needed news Cats as a result of the REVO trial. After all testing, it was discovered that the trial does not return the car to a true "stock" configuration. The car continues to dump fuel in to the motor at too high a rate. This causes pour MPG and can dammage the Cats, as they get too hot as a result of too much un-spent fuel building up and needing to be burnt in the Cat. Personally I would not suggest a "trial" flash of ANY software. This is one reason some tuners do not offer a "trial" flash.

I share this information to help this community. I am not out to grind an Axe or start a tuner "War". All of my observations are based on my own experiance and are not based on rumors. My experiance may not reflect your own. Tuners are always working to make their product better, and hopefully are.

Finally, I would like to say that I own a VW / Audi / Porsche shop in Denver, CO. My experiance with REVO was before I opened my shop, and has no bias. My first GIAC file was also prior to me opening my shop.

Now, I am a dealer for GIAC and work closely with Jeff Moss @ Torque Factoy in CA to test and tune software at high altitude. Currently I am woking on K04 software for the 2002-2005 1.8T as well as developing a B5.5 specific intercooler.

I have nothing bad to say about ANY tuner. I have a good friend that is an APR dealer and I am friends with the owner of the shop that is the REVO Dealer in Denver. We all get along and refer customers to one another. That is how I feel the tuning world should.

HTH - Randy

#24 ·
Currently I am woking on K04 software for the 2002-2005 1.8T
I assume that the 2001.5 B5.5 is included in that? (please, please, please... :) )

I'd love to upgrade to a K04, but I need some assurance of well-tuned software first. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my 0.9bar Wett chip (if not their technical support).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone who has gas mileage concerns after chipping should get a vag-com and log some data. Your fuel trims and some logging of the 02 sensor voltages will quickly tell you if it's a tuning issue or a heavy-foot issue. I'd bet that 99% of the time it's the heavy foot that's affecting your MPG. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.