Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
From Ross-Tech
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_%2801V%29

5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V) Coding

Non-DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

* 00000 = Standard (DSP active)
* 00010 = Standard (DSP inactive)

DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

* 0?xxx: Tiptronic Installation
o 0 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddels not installed
o 1 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddels installed
* 0x?xx: Tiptronic Strategy
o 0 = Old Strategy (Shifts to first Gear when braked to Standstill)
o 1 = New Strategy (Automatic Up/Down Shift before RPM Limit & Down Shift at Kick-Down)
* 0xx?x: Dynamic Shift Program (DSP)
o 0 = DSP active
o 1 = DSP inactive
* 0xxx?: Region/Powertrain
o 1 = All-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
o 2 = All-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
o 3 = Front-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
o 4 = Front-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
The above information is also the same as what Vag Com displays, however, i can assure you that it is incorrect. By the above information, if the third last digit is a 1, there is kickdown, and if it is a 0, there is no kickdown, well, with codes 1124 and 1134, there is no kickdown, and with codes 1004 and 1014, there is kickdown, so all 4 of these codes are contrary to this information...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I still have not seen much of a comparison between the A4 code and the passat sport code. my understanding is that the last digit is 2 for 4wd cars, and 4 for fwd cars, so in my fwd car, i intend to try a modified version of the A4 code (i will try 1004 instead of 1002), and will let you guys know. i would do it today, but a woman ran a red light and hit my 'ssat about a month ago, and it was supposed to be done on friday, but now they are saying early next week. i just got my Vag Com, and can't wait to play. I want to try and compare codes 1104, 1114, 1124, 1134, and 1004. i am very curious where this may lead to. i also just took delivery of my sprint booster last week, and so i intend to try all of these codes both with and without sprint booster, and possibly also mess around to compare between stock, apr91, and apr93 with and without sprint booster and with all the different codes. i may suffer from OCD ;). once i have finished, i will post my results.
okay, so here are some of my results of testing. In case it is relevant, my car is a FWD 2002 1.8T AWM with APR 91/93 and a Sprint Booster power converter. My initial testing was done with Sprint Booster disabled and with my ECU in stock mode. Here we go:

1104: stock coding. Tip will kickdown. car is slow to downshift with light throttle in D.
1114: Tip will kickdown. car seems to downshift more readily with light throttle in D.
1124: Tip will not kickdown. car seems to drive the same as stock (1104) in D
1134: Tip will not kickdown. car seems to drive the same as stock (1104) in D

1004: stock A4 coding. Tip will kickdown. car seems to downshift more readily with light throttle in D.
1014: Tip will kickdown. car seems to drive the same as stock (1104) in D
1024: Tip will not kickdown. car seems to drive the same as stock (1104) in D
1034: Tip will not kickdown. car seems to downshift more readily with light throttle in D.

I also tried inputing the European coding (the last digit for FWD euro passats is 3), however, my car would not accept any of these codes. I also tried inputing the non DBW codes, but again, my car would not accept the codes.
I also tried putting in codes with 4 as the second last digit, and again, they would not work. If any of you have any other codes you would like me to try, please let me know, and I would be happy to try them out.

now after playing around with my ECU set for APR 91, i found that i liked coding 1114, 1004, and 1034 for D mode, and in particular 1034 with my sprint booster set on the most agressive mode (red LED)
with my ECU set for APR 93, I liked the same codes, but my favorite ended up being 1004 with my sprint booster set on the medium setting (green LED)
code 1004 is the stock A4 coding, but it seems to be a little quicker to respond to throttle input, and i find that it does not do any gear hunting while in chipped mode (as it seems to in the stock 1104 code)

Hope this can help some people out there, and I welcome any input you may have.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, i had to re-read the first post before i figure it all out. I have a 2002 1.8T w/ a Unitronics Stage1 chip and my stock code was "01104". I wanted the Tiptronic to shift more like a manual (ie i didn't want the annoying kickdown at full throttle).

First I tried "01134" (Sports mode + No kickdown) for a day, but I found it to be too jerky in D. The car would downshift, boost would kick in at the same time, jerking the car forward. I dont think this is good for the transmission.

Today I changed the code to "01124" (Regular mode + No kickdown), I find it to be perfect. The car is nice and smooth in "D". Since I share the car with family who do not drive aggressive, the docile D is perfect. The tiptronic shifts via the old strategy and doesn't kickdown mid corner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think i need to do this to my W8. hell of a lot cheaper & easier than finding a MT to swap in at least.

wonder what it might run me at an indie shop...? can't take too long, right?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
i think i need to do this to my W8. hell of a lot cheaper & easier than finding a MT to swap in at least.

seriously takes 2 minutes. just find someone with a vagcom

·
Registered
7 Posts

I used the transparent blue 409.1 Vagcom cable cost less than $15 on eBay. The lite version of the software is free from Ross-tech. I already have a laptop. So this mod is so cheap that it is practically free.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to clarify, and sorry if this is a repeat of any previous post (I looked thru the thread but didn't see anything specific)...

For my '03 W8 4Mo, I should go with this?:

Transmission Code 00132
(Old Strategy + Sports Mode) USA All Wheel Drive (4Motion)

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Just to clarify, and sorry if this is a repeat of any previous post (I looked thru the thread but didn't see anything specific)...

For my '03 W8 4Mo, I should go with this?:

Transmission Code 00132
(Old Strategy + Sports Mode) USA All Wheel Drive (4Motion)
It's been 6 years since I did this for Air Force pilot's W8 but it sounds like the right code.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bumping this before starting a new thread I tried to code my 05 4 motion wagon today and have been unsuccessful. My original coding is 1102, I tried both 1112 and 1132 both said rejected out of range. Anyone else have this issue? Seems the torque converter is starting to go on my passat and wanted to try this coding to try and keep the rpms higher so the torque converter stays closed...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
Makes more of a difference when stock ecu. When chipped, it's hard to tell sometimes.

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
It made a big difference on my 1st Passat even after it was chipped. Now I don't have to worry :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got an 03 Passat 4motion 2.8l V6, 5speed auto w/ tiptronic UK model, 65000k miles and all service from first owner, default transmition code was 00101 changed to 00121 and now feels lovely in Drive. Thanks for the write ups guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just did the sport mode code on my '03 using OBDEleven. Wow. MUCH better! 01112 is the hot ticket! May try the"old strategy" for Tiptronic next.

Screenshot_20210112-194637_OBDeleven (1).jpg

Reactions: VAGguy
241 - 258 of 258 Posts