Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
Just an observation I have made for my late model B5.5. I updated to sport coding 01134 2 yrs ago. Since then I have been getting a flare of 100-150 rpm between shifts in "D" and tip under moderate to heavy throttle (5psi+). Reading around, this is within the acceptable limits.

I read a snippet somewhere in somebody's post that they used the early B5.5 coding of 00134 and it was better. I confirm that it is definately different behavior than the late model 01134 coding and MY FLARING IS GONE. I've been driving the past two days over 150 miles in mixed traffic conditions and it has not happened once. I am on original fluid/filter at 82K miles but will be done soon anyways.

Something for you late model 2004+ FWD's to try out.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Just an observation I have made for my late model B5.5. I updated to sport coding 01134 2 yrs ago. Since then I have been getting a flare of 100-150 rpm between shifts in "D" and tip under moderate to heavy throttle (5psi+). Reading around, this is within the acceptable limits.

I read a snippet somewhere in somebody's post that they used the early B5.5 coding of 00134 and it was better. I confirm that it is definately different behavior than the late model 01134 coding and MY FLARING IS GONE. I've been driving the past two days over 150 miles in mixed traffic conditions and it has not happened once. I am on original fluid/filter at 82K miles but will be done soon anyways.

Something for you late model 2004+ FWD's to try out.
Was it me? Not sure if I posted about this but I had the same problem since I got the trans coded at the indy's with late model sport mode 2 years ago. I recoded to early model coding on my 2002 and all has been well since 2 months. I don't think the problem is gone, the symptoms are definitely gone the shifting helps around the slip/flare issue.

Like identified by Mister T and others, the trans will start to slip after a while on chipped and BT cars. An upgraded TC will fix the issue.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
See, I rarely take it past 10psi because traffic conditions don't require it. A lot of that flare happened between 5-10psi which is stock psi range. I have no flare even under WOT now.

Edit: normal commute on back roads (this morning) gives me light flare only from 3rd-4th. All else is improved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put the 00134 Sport Mode on both of my 05 Passat GLS TDI's and noticed quicker shift points. Not sure if this will help or harm gas mileage, but definitely feels more responsive.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Like identified by Mister T and others, the trans will start to slip after a while on chipped and BT cars. An upgraded TC will fix the issue.
Just to clarify, a BT tip needs a TC upgrade, no questions asked. The tiny clutches on the stock TC will not last and it will start slipping. This creates heat which glazes the clutch surface and it's all downhill from there.

The other cause of slippage are the clutch packs themselves. Due to the comfort oriented nature of our transmissions there is a lot of overlap during shifts which also gives rise to slippage. This can also give rise to flaring, glazing and transmission failure.

The remedy to that is to get the valve bodies upgraded (NOT AT LEVEL 10!!!) This will reduce the overlap and increase the clutch holding power. This saves on your clutch packs and will increase the longevity of any BT tip setup. Were it not for the fact that I'd like to go manual at some point, the valve bodies would be my next upgrade.

Also, GIAC and VAST both make a tip chip. While these products will help to some degree, in my opinion your money would be better spent on the valve bodies. Also if you have to choose VAST is the better of the two IMO. However, VAST does not make tip chips for the early non DBW transmissions. In this case GIAC is your best bet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
IPT trans, they actually machine out the valve bodies instead of putting $0.20 worth of washers behind the accumulator spring like Level 10 does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
00132 today...

I've got an 01 4motion and had the codes changed today. We enabled 00132 and so far I like it... Not a huge difference, but none the less a nice difference! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
In my opinion the re-code gives better results than the GIAC tip chip. With the recode you'll get better response in part throttle conditions and in regular D mode. Whereas the tip chip only makes a difference under full throttle tip mode shifts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got an 01 4motion and had the codes changed today. We enabled 00132 and so far I like it... Not a huge difference, but none the less a nice difference! :thumbup:
and driving it today... it's a different car!!!

It really, really like it! :thumbup::)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a B5.5 2002 1.8T FWD and today I recoded from 01104 (stock) to 01134 (old strategy & sport mode). I thought that I should have stock code 00104 which means sport mode should be 00134. Want to know what difference is between 01134 and 00134? I see here some posts about it that explains first B5.5s have 00104 stock code and late B5.5s have 01104 ... can someone explain better why my car from 2002 have the late model B5.5s code and what is the difference between first B5.5s and late B5.5s transmission codes?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok, my 2004 a4 1.8T quattro is 01002 stock.
sorry for the delay but I too tried the A4 code 01002, and I like it better than the 01332! Just a little different from 01332, but I like more performance. I am not too concerned with MPG since I commute a whopping 5 miles to work. IT is great for around town driving. Thanks VAGguy!
I still have not seen much of a comparison between the A4 code and the passat sport code. my understanding is that the last digit is 2 for 4wd cars, and 4 for fwd cars, so in my fwd car, i intend to try a modified version of the A4 code (i will try 1004 instead of 1002), and will let you guys know. i would do it today, but a woman ran a red light and hit my 'ssat about a month ago, and it was supposed to be done on friday, but now they are saying early next week. i just got my Vag Com, and can't wait to play. I want to try and compare codes 1104, 1114, 1124, 1134, and 1004. i am very curious where this may lead to. i also just took delivery of my sprint booster last week, and so i intend to try all of these codes both with and without sprint booster, and possibly also mess around to compare between stock, apr91, and apr93 with and without sprint booster and with all the different codes. i may suffer from OCD ;). once i have finished, i will post my results.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Man, this thread has legs; its over 7 years old and still active ... :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Man, this thread has legs; its over 7 years old and still active ... :)
hey, a great post is a great post! this one has a lot of great info, and yet, at the same time, i feel that there is still a lot more that could (possibly) be added!

·
Registered
40 Posts
From Ross-Tech
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_%2801V%29

5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V) Coding

Non-DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

* 00000 = Standard (DSP active)
* 00010 = Standard (DSP inactive)

DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

* 0?xxx: Tiptronic Installation
o 0 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddels not installed
o 1 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddels installed
* 0x?xx: Tiptronic Strategy
o 0 = Old Strategy (Shifts to first Gear when braked to Standstill)
o 1 = New Strategy (Automatic Up/Down Shift before RPM Limit & Down Shift at Kick-Down)
* 0xx?x: Dynamic Shift Program (DSP)
o 0 = DSP active
o 1 = DSP inactive
* 0xxx?: Region/Powertrain
o 1 = All-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
o 2 = All-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
o 3 = Front-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
o 4 = Front-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)

221 - 240 of 258 Posts