Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
so how does this vag-com work do u download it the hook ur computer to ur car up to like take it out bring it in and tune it or use a labtop lol i am kinda lost and wanna now how this all works before spending money
thanx
Well, you need a laptop running Windows (XP is best I think). I have a Mac OS X MacBook Pro so I downloaded vmware for free (thank you Oregon State DC++) and used an old XP CD from a desktop I used to have.

Next, you need to purchase a cable to connect your car (OBDII port) to your computer (serial or USB port). A company named Ross-Tech sells an OBDII to serial cable. If you do not have a serial port on your computer, there is a converter cable for about $20 that goes from serial to USB. I bought a OBDII to USB cable on eBay that was made by someone other than Ross-Tech (Alpha-Bid). It was $20. The tricky part is downloading the correct driver (there are two drivers for a single USB cable) for the cable.

If you have a USB cable, you must install the driver. Once installed, the USB cable still acts like a serial cable (the software is designed for that) and is given a com port. Drill into the hardware profile and locate the com ports. One will list the USB cable. My cable ended up being on com port three. Remember what com port your cable ends up on.

Once the cable is set up, you must download software. Ross-Tech makes software called Vag-Com. There is a free version that has some features disabled. If you buy the Ross-Tech cable, the driver for that cable is on the site. If you buy a 3rd party cable (non Ross-Tech) you must get the driver from the people you bought the cable from. I highly recommend the alpha-bid USB cable. They give very good directions on how to install the cable and use it in conjunction with the Vag-Com application.

Plug the cable into your laptop and then into your car. Start the Vag-Com program. It will make you test the cable before you can do anything else. This is why you figured out what com port your cable is installed under. Before you click "test" you must select the appropriate com port. Do not select USB, as it will not work unless you have the Ross-Tech cable. Once the test completes successfully, you will be able to use the program.

I have the free version working with a cable I got for less than $20 shipped on eBay. Glad I didn't waste money on the Ross-Tech cable or a serial to USB converter. I should mention that if you buy a 3rd party cable it will work only up to version 409.1 of the Vag-Com software. I may eventually pay $99 for the full version, but not for now. I am happy that I can mess with some things, but there may come a day when I need a throttle body adaptation. Then, I will buy the software. I think it is cool that you can get a free version because it allows you to get everything running before you invest money in the full version of the software.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really want to do this mod but don't have a VAG-COM. I do have a V-Checker Pro. Is it possible to use that since it is supposed to work like the VAG-COM unit.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
Late model B5.5's are 01134, early b5.5's are 00134.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
POSSIBLE CODING Very late model Transmission Code 01132
(Old Strategy + Sports Mode) USA All Wheel Drive (4Motion)
Where are you located? Have a vagcom?

Do everybody with late model 4mo's a favor?

Since the A4Q uses basically the same driveline, I'll try to extract the coding tonight to see if anybody wants to try that code in their 4mo. IMO, my A4 is always in the right gear and has higher shift points in "D" than my passat, both 1.8Ts of the same year.

Experiment:

1. Use the passat old strategy + sports mode coding for late model 4mo. Note change in behavior from stock coding.

2. Use stock coding from A4 1.8TQ and see if it works at all. If it does, note shifting behavior over previous coding.

This will only benefit the 4mo people as the A4 FWD had a CVT trans and thus has different coding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks! I have seen this post, but it is untested. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done it.
I am in Lake Tahoe, and yes I have vagcom. It looks like I can recode with free version right?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
thanks! I have seen this post, but it is untested. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done it.
I am in Lake Tahoe, and yes I have vagcom. It looks like I can recode with free version right?
yes. Re-read my post, I updated it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
I'll try to get the code tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, I have confirmed the code 01132 works for 2004 1.8t 4MO Variant. the stock coding was 01102. I did a throttle body realignment and I now have a new car! Woohooo!!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
Ok, my 2004 a4 1.8T quattro is 01002 stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool, I will try the A4 code of 01002 later today... I think the throttle body adaptation had the biggest effect on my ride. The shift points on the old+sport coding is noticable higher. I will go back to stock to get a new baseline to test the sport mode and the A4 coding. this is the absolute best mod right after my ECU flash (chip) of course.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
bump. Anxious to see if it worked.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just wanted to say that I tried this code out on my 2001.5 Passat 1.8T. I didn't really like it because it just held the gear longer, revving higher, using more gas, for a small improvement in driveablility. It hurt my mileage by 2-3mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry for the delay but I too tried the A4 code 01002, and I like it better than the 01332! Just a little different from 01332, but I like more performance. I am not too concerned with MPG since I commute a whopping 5 miles to work. IT is great for around town driving. Thanks VAGguy!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
just wanted to say that i tried this code out on my 2001.5 passat 1.8t. I didn't really like it because it just held the gear longer, revving higher, using more gas, for a small improvement in driveablility. It hurt my mileage by 2-3mpg.
01002?

201 - 220 of 258 Posts