Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy this exhaust from a Passat owner who had give up his car.

First impression is that the muffler is quieter than stock :shock: though it gives out a soft low grunt which only can be heard if you are a meter away from the exhaust. From the cabin, it seems like the car is quieter which since there is less restriction. However it also have a soft hiss which I find it strange, can someone comment on it?

Anyway though the muffler is produce by Remus, they are totally different from the sound & looks of it. Remus has louder grunt with twin square tip and hangs lower in the rear while the Oettinger has round tip and has only 3mm clearance between the tip the the stock valence. It also fits more securely compare to the Remus setup which my friend had.

Performance wise the car drives with more linear acceleration and this helps the upshift of the tip gear smoother. After driving for 3 days, my evaluation is that the biggest gain comes above 3000rpm on as the car pulls with faster & smoother acceleration esp on 2nd & 3rd gear. During acceleration, you can only hear the engine & turbo spooling while the exhaust adds a soft high pitch winding sound which together sound perfect for me. :lol: All in all, the cabin is quieter than before.

So for quiet performance muffler, I would recommend Oettinger though it is more costly now due to the Euro. For those looking for grunt, this is not for you.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
This is dedicated to Julian Fang!

I also have the Oettinger Rear Sport Muffler, and now Julian you should know why I promote it so much.

Cause it works, I told you it is a good muffler, instead of flamming my ass Julian how about listen to what I have to say.

Ultravox good buy, I wish you the best, PM me for more info or help, I will be happy to help you!

Rich 8)

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
slimebucket said:
This is dedicated to Julian Fang!

I also have the Oettinger Rear Sport Muffler, and now Julian you should know why I promote it so much.

Cause it works, I told you it is a good muffler, instead of flamming my ass Julian how about listen to what I have to say.

Ultravox good buy, I wish you the best, PM me for more info or help, I will be happy to help you!

Rich 8)
Rich, please be mature and not turn this post into a flame post.

Ultra... glad that you enjoy the new exhaust. Keep on truckin and enjoy the new sounds.

Steve

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If he turns it into a flame thats his business, I am just telling him why I promote Oettinger!

Its his problem if he turns it the other way.

I wasnt being mature, I am just saying that the muffler is good

Rich :)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
slimebucket said:
I wasnt being mature
no argument here . . .

I just don't see why you hijacked someones thread in order to call julian out. Surely he didn't post anything in this thread to offend you.

Anyways, back on topic. The Oettinger does have sweet sound and it is quite a nice looking muffler, but like he said, not if you're going for performance. But honestly, i would get one just because i want as little drone as possible. If only they offered different tips . . . oh and the price wasn't $800.

Dave

·
Registered
778 Posts
Slimebucket,

There are much better ways of expressing your point regarding your belief that Ultravox has vindicated your position. Pity you do not possess the maturity or good taste to take advantage of them. People would take you more seriously if you did.

Slider.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Back to the subject, since I replaced my Cat with '02 one, junked the suitcase resonator, installed a 20" Glasspack in the tunnel and ran a very smooth pipe from it to the stock muffler.....I get a slightly louder then stock growl from in the cabin...am always aware of it, but it never intrudes, am very happy with the mod. But I do notice when I'm outside and close to the rear of the car as it idles, I too hear that "soft hiss"......

No leaks that I can determine. Who knows, the car seems very happy! Turbo spool up is awesome, but I chipped it the same day too.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hey, guys, get back on topic.
Don't worry about Rich, i'm sure he meant it in a nice way, it's hard to know what people are trying saying when it's all in text.

Congrates on the new muffler, i hope it gives you everything you want. How does it sound from the car behind, 'cause it is possible that the noise is only audiable from behing the car under load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.