Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Some of the tuners remove the rev limiter as an option. My understanding is that you MUST ask for it. They don't just do it routinely. Also, Some of the tuners move it up a bit. Otherwise, if its stock, you should hit a brick wall (no fuel) at just above redline, IIRC.

Kenny

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
One sure way to determine if you're chipped would be to connect a boost gauge to your car. You don't need to buy a permanent fixture. Just take the car to your mechnanic's shop and have them connect theirs to your car. Take it for a drive and push it to red line in the first three gears. If the boost reading peaks at 7 psi , you're stock. If it peaks at 14 psi or more, you're chipped.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
His must've been somehow modified, the 'old (and standard) version' Tip shift program shifts automatically before redline, even while you're in Tip mode. So he must've switched it to 'new' or 'sport' mode with a VAG-COM.

I do beleive the rev limiter is about 250-500 RPM's after redline. I wouldn't know, I don't have a 1.8T.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2000 1.8t Tip and when I logged the RPM's with my Vag-Com I got 6600 RPM as the rev limit. On my 1.8, this is past the red line on the gauge. Your tach can be re-calibrated with the vag-com. It is possible (but not likely) that your tach needs to be recalibrated.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It's in the red, close to 7000 RPM. How bad is it to have the car chipped, and to use the extra RPM's given? In other words, is it worse on the engine reving it out to 7100 RPM's than to rev to 6800? I don't imagine the tuner moving the redline to something that would blow the engine.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
His must've been somehow modified, the 'old (and standard) version' Tip shift program shifts automatically before redline, even while you're in Tip mode. So he must've switched it to 'new' or 'sport' mode with a VAG-COM.

I do beleive the rev limiter is about 250-500 RPM's after redline. I wouldn't know, I don't have a 1.8T.
He is correct, i did it to mine and i can go past redline easily. sport mode kicks ass by the way. :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I've measured it at 6750. Most chips bump it up to 7100.

Don't be afraid of the rev limiter. ;)

#1, its software limited, rather than the conventional method of shutting down the injectors, so you'll never "bounce" off the rev limiter...it just sits there. So there's no need to fear that you'll kill your motor/tranny mounts, your drivetrain parts, etc.

#2, VW put it there for a reason....so you don't blow up your engine. So. Use and abuse. If it blows up, sue VW. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.