Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am redoing a cheap 1.8T and the book says replace rod and main bolts every time they have been used.I have new headbolts to use and I have already torqued the rods and mains and they seem fine. Anyone out there reuse there rod and main bolts???? This is a cheap stock driver for my kid.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
gearjam said:
I am redoing a cheap 1.8T and the book says replace rod and main bolts every time they have been used.I have new headbolts to use and I have already torqued the rods and mains and they seem fine. Anyone out there reuse there rod and main bolts???? This is a cheap stock driver for my kid.:crazy:
if you decide to buy new bolts, spend the extra little bit and buy all arp harware, you can use them over and over, no need to replace them if you get into it later down the road.

and for the rod bolts, arp sells specific rod bolts for VW and they are about 100, if you buy the ford 302
5/16 rod bolts (part number 154-6002) you can spend half the money and you will get enough for another set of rod that you could sell.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't reused them. but know that they will be incorrectly torqued if you reuse them. Perhaps you already know this but they are stretch bolts and when tightening they are torqued to a certain ft-lbs then turned an specific number of degrees. they are lengthed during that process so if you simply repeat they won't be at the correct torque and will be weaker. I would think it would be worth it to buy new bolts specially cause you don't want to have to do this again and failure could be quite expensive. How much is it for the new bolts?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Jem can you tell us more about Arp hardware. I had pressumed that the stretch bolts were necessary and really strong. Are the arp bolts actually better? your post made me think that possibly VW was using stretch bolts as a way of maxing out a cheaper alloy rather than going with a stronger bolt. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Glucks said:
Jem can you tell us more about Arp hardware. I had pressumed that the stretch bolts were necessary and really strong. Are the arp bolts actually better? your post made me think that possibly VW was using stretch bolts as a way of maxing out a cheaper alloy rather than going with a stronger bolt. What do you think?
I can't speculate on why VW uses the bolts that they do.

The arp bolts are super strong, 190,000 psi. concrete in a parking lot is about 3,000 psi. typical head bolts are around 130,000 from what I have read. arp does some special heat treating to the bolts to make them super strong and they do a few other things that makes them better then all the rest.

I have been looking for head studs for my engine I am building. The ford 302 rod bolts are a cheap alternative to vw specific rod bolts. ARP part number on these rod bolts are 154-6002. The head on this ford rod bolt requires a very slight amount of filing. The head of the bolt is just a little different then the VW arp bolts. The vw arp bolts are about 100, enough to do 4 rods, the ford arp bolts are half that at about 50, this way you have enough to do your 4 and sell the rest.

Headstuds, they run around 100 for VW 4 cyl engines. Don't have any cheaper alternatives like the rod bolts.

Main studs for all VW 4cyl engines are about 80-90. Again, no cheaper alternatives for these either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prices I got today are @ cost. The main bolts are $1.15 each and the rod bots are $6 something each. This Ford rod bolt thing is a great idea but what do you torgue them to then?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts