Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, after much toil I got my $30 VAG COM cable to communicate with a borrowed laptop with a much to be desired battery life. I scanned my car and my dad's car and gathered a few codes which I need your help with.

Codes from the 2000 Silver B5 1.8T wagon

Control Module Part Number: 8D0 907 557 P
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR AT D02
Software Coding: 06051
Work Shop Code: WSC 05314
3 Faults Found:
17972 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Under-Voltage during Basic Setting
P1564 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17973 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1565 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
18021 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1613 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

the other codes on the DTC look up:

17972 P1564 Idle Speed Contr.Throttle Pos. Low Voltage During Adaptation
18021 P1613 MIL Call-up Circ Open/Short to B+

I cleared the CEL for this car, and we'll see how long it stays off. All codes were intermittent. The 2nd car is a bit more complicated.

Green '98 B5 1.8T

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 8D0 907 558 M
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D01
Software Coding: 06001
Work Shop Code: WSC 05314
1 Fault Found:
16517 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow
P0133 - 35-00 - -

So there's the one code for the o2 sensor. B1 S1? does that refer to which o2 sensor it is? Sometimes i can smell the car running rich, or perhaps not properly handling the exhaust. I think this might have to do with the o2 sensor. I'd like to replace that guy.

Now for the fun.

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 P
Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 FRONT D31
Software Coding: 0273004133
Work Shop Code: BB 24304
2 Faults Found:
00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+
00290 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
35-00 - Please Register/Activate

Ah, so the front left ABS sensor is off line. Im going to go inspect it to see if its damaged or improperly connected, but this code first appeared a while back from some aggressive maneuvering, so i think i may have fried it like an egg. I can only hope that ocde 00290 35-00 is just another wheel sensor.

Anyway as always I greatly appreciate your help in avoiding a costly trip to my friendly vw shop. (they get paid enough to be friendly)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So as far as I can tell ABS sensors are the same at each corner. Can anyone verify this?
Also, how do you pull them out? Mine are stuck in there really firmly. I can turn it a little but no pull or push.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll take a stab.

2000 Silver B5 1.8T wagon

Sounds like you might have a bad throttle body (or part of the throttle body). I seem to remeber there being a specific year(s) that seemed to have large amounts of throttle body failures. Just my guess

Green '98 B5 1.8T

B1 S1 means Bank 1 Sensor 1 (as far as I know anyway). And since its a 1.8t you've only got one bank (as apposed to say a v6 with two cats - one on each side). And sensor 1 should be the pre-cat (catalytic converter) sensor. If this has failed or is failing then I believe it will screw up your air/fuel ratio (as apposes to the post cat sensor which really only test the effectiveness of the cat). So it very well could be running rich because of this. Might just need a new o2 sensor.

As for the ABS sensor, people have found that they get "crudded up" over time and sometimes just need a good cleaning. The fact that you can't remove yours re-inforces this theory. It may be corroded and stuck. Just work at getting it off and then clean it real good and see if that helps.

Thats all I've got.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
v-mann, you are v mann. thanks. Since i have 2 passats in my driveway ill try switching the o2 sensor to see if it alleviated the code. As far as the sensor goes, how delicate are they? can i go at it with a wrench and a rag? or should i just try working it by hand?

Perhaps the silver wagon's throttle body needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
rturbo said:
v-mann, you are v mann. thanks. Since i have 2 passats in my driveway ill try switching the o2 sensor to see if it alleviated the code. As far as the sensor goes, how delicate are they? can i go at it with a wrench and a rag? or should i just try working it by hand?

Perhaps the silver wagon's throttle body needs a good cleaning.
Swapping o2 sensors sounds like a good idea. I believe they should be the same between the two cars.

As for the abs sensor, I would try some penetrating lubricant. and work at it with your hands and a wrag and maybe a pair of pliers.

As for the throttle body, couldn't hurt to clean it first. Do a search on here though. You should be able to get more info on the throttle body and get a better idea as to weather or not its shot.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice. since the throttle body issue comes up as intermittent i think that a thorough cleaning could be what it needs. As far as penetrating lubricants, how's WD-40 or is there something more caustic that i should try?

oh, and nice suspension on your whip.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
WD40 could work. Or any other product at an autoparts store labeled as a penetrating lubricant. Theres Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster (I think thats what its called) and probably a dozen others.

And just to be sure, we're talking about using the pentrating lube on the ABS sensor - NOT the throttle body. For the TB, get a cleaner specifically for cleaning throttle bodies. There are probably at least two or three kinds at any given autoparts store. One of the links above has a link to a write-up on cleaning the TB.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts