Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know susp. mods. have been beaten to death on this forum, but I'm looking for some info from members that have lowered their rides using H&R Sport Springs, or Eibach Pro Kit Springs. I would like to know how much negative camber resulted from the drop, particularly in the front.

When I lowered my '91 Integra with Eibachs I ended up with 1.5 deg. of neg. camber, the drop was 1.25" in front and 1.0" at the rear. Tire wear was not to bad on the inside edge of the tire. I've been told that once you go past approx 1.5 deg. inside tire wear can be excessive.

If anyone can give me some numbers I would be greatful.

TIA

Frank :) :drink:

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
I just installed H&R OE sport and konis, but I'll be waiting a while before I align for it to settle. I'll post some numbers then.

My question is, if there is too much camber, what do you do about it, since camber can't be adjusted except by moving the subframe.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i believe that vw makes a camber adjustment kit, i duno how much, but i believe that it will allow you to adjust the camber

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
With H+R Sports and Bilstein adjustables 1 notch raised (no rake) I had -1.2 on
each side. That is with a 1.75" drop. Stock was about -0.7

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
With Eibach Pro-System on my Variant, drop ~1.2 front, ~1 back, camber is -1.3 L and - 1.6 R.

pacent, .
I've scheduled an alignment next week...I'll let you know how off it is with an eibach pro system installed.
are you getting your alignment done at Duxler's (down the road from Dubwerks)? They are good but get pretty busy - I waited for ~2 hours for mine and that's after I made an appointment

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yup, I'm dropping my car off Friday night, and picking it up Saturday sometime. CVO is having a dyno day at AMS sunday if you're interested at all. 50 bucks for 3 pulls, another 20 for wideband o2

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far the numbers look to be not to excessive, thanks to all for the feed back so far. The AWE tuning site lists camber adjustable control arms for Passats at $695.00...OUCH!! My point in all this is, if the resultant camber when my ride has been dropped using the above mentioned springs is less than -1.5 deg, I should be able to avoid the expense of camber adjusting devices.

Can anyone who has had H&R's or Eibachs on their ride for a while comment on how their tires are waring, especially using 17 or 18's.

Thanks Frank :) :drink:

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I have the H&R sport springs with Bilstien adjustable shocks. I will be aligning the car at the end of the week and will post the results on the weekend for you. If you do not align and correct the camber after the springs settle you will begin to wear down the inner wall tread of the tires and cause you to spend more money buying tires and doing the alignment.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I currently have the Eibach Pro kit on my 2002. Running 17 inch rims, 215/45/17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. At 17k, my front tires were toast on the inner part of the tire. Now, at 25k, the rears are VERY badly worn on the far inside of the tires...Ive had two alignments done.

Actually, today Im taking it in to have front tires put on the fronts, and the existing fronts moved to the rear. After I have my Neuspeed springs and Bilsteins installed this week, after settling, Im going to get another alignment.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
P_sattvotex said:
I have the H&R sport springs with Bilstien adjustable shocks. I will be aligning the car at the end of the week and will post the results on the weekend for you. If you do not align and correct the camber after the springs settle you will begin to wear down the inner wall tread of the tires and cause you to spend more money buying tires and doing the alignment.
How do you correct the camber?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
From what I have learnt here on this board and from the shop that did my alignment (they do a lot of lowered Passats), there is no way to adjust/correct/remedy off-spec camber on the stock Passat. The "cheap" workaround is to rotate the tires more often (I'm planning on @ every oil chnage, 5K). Otherwise I guess you shell out beaucoup bucks for a camber kit ... I would be happily corrected if I am wrong about this.

pacent - will have to pass on the dyno day. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
There is camber kit available for under $150 iirc. Ill have to look around again, but I know it was posted on one of the boards not too long ago.

Found it.. Here we go
lbpassat said:
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:54:04 (GMT)

We now have the front K-Mac camber kits for the Volkswagen Passat 1997-2004. These kits are a direct bolt in camber kit. Simply replace the upper/inner control arm bushings with the single wrench adjustment feature K-mac kit. This kit can adjust 3 degrees of camber and caster. The part number is 140916. You can check out K-Mac's website at www.k-mac.com These kits are in stock and are $209.00.

Let me know how many of you guys are interested, and I'll get with them to work on the pricing.

Here's a link to K-Macs Home Page

http://www.k-mac.com.au/
BTW, It looks like www.shox.com has them listed under the Passat's for about $209.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the great feed back, as usual if you have a question, the place to ask it is on Club :b5: Steve that kit looks pretty good, especially price wise.

Frank :) :drink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
denoudf
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing