Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I searched - spent the better part of two days reading and reviewing, and now have an issue with the local muffler shop(s) I know there are quite a few people who have done this - and that the sound will be louder, but here is my issue.

Muffler shop #1 where my buddy got his Camaro SS custom set up done told me they could do it - would not be a problem, no loss in power, etc and just a little louder than stock, nothing outrageous. When he checked the catalog - was very surprised at the weight of the part. Pretty good price.

Muffler shop #2 recommended by my local parts shop told me they could do it - but that the sound would be EXTREMELY loud, and a waste of time. Recommends I buy a new "throaty" muffler instead. Told me that the stock muffler would sound very ricey. His price was twice that of shop #1.

In my book - two completey different answers. Price is not the question, it's knowing which shop has given me the correct details. Obviously, shop #1 makes more sense to me - but not if the info from shop #2 is accurate.

Sorry to start another post on the "resonator removal" but would just like some feedback from individuals who have had this mod for a while.

Thanks for any feedback that can be offered

Bill

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Shop #2 is wrong. It is not loud at all. I've had my www.summitracing.com "20" thrush glasspacked on for over a year with no increase in loudness in city OR highway.

Regardless, it gets rid of that 50lb POS OEM resonator and may even make it more free flowing (don't expect a gain from this at all, save that you gain from drop in weight).

Price of resonator AND installation came to less than $60

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you remove the resonator and just replace with straightpipe you'll get lots of droning. If you replace with a glasspacked straightpipe then you only get mild drone at highway speed. I got the 20" or 22" Thrush glasspack straightpipe as well. The shop told me that it would eventually get a little bit louder as some of the glasspacking wears away. I think it has gotten a little louder since it was first installed over a year ago.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I did it and am happy with the results. 50Lbs of weight gone is not huge, bet every bit helps.

My car does drone between 3400-2800 RPM on decell, but it does not bother me al all.

Do it!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
"Resonator removal" is about halfway down my to-do list... just after "relocate DV". :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Go with #1
And really, I've never noticed any droning at all with my straight pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts