Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
1.8t

How about a 1.8T for dummies 101!
Starting with all the need to know like timing belt, sludge, hoses, antifreeze, and all of the stuff a lonely first time owner with no clue needs to know to get started of in the right direction. I'm still trying to figure it out!:Yikes:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
How about a "Picking a suspension setup" one? I know looking for mine I felt overwhelmed with threads. One centralized one to answer people's questions would be awesome!

Mike

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
---I'd like a write up on some the "How to Use VAG-Com." All the way down to the simplest stuff other than pushing the buttons. I know it probably is quite easy but to someone who knows nothing, it is quite complex. All I see is a bunch of numbers. I gotta start somewhere and no one is going to spell it out, but a good head start would be awesome.
Seconded.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'll do a write-up for the V6 motor mounts when I get the chance because they are a lot harder and different than on a 1.8t. :thumbup:

I would've taken pics when I was doing it but at that point in time a write-up was far from my mind as I was working on a deadline of sorts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
even though it's much easier on a v6 than the 1.8t, how about an MAFS writeup? I'll gladly provide the pictures...I did this recently and the 4-cyl writeup here is misleading because the MAFS is located in a different spot on the V6 than on the 1.8T.

This is a great thread for us V6ers...will the first post continue to be edited with links to writeups that have been done?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been digging and digging, but can't come up with a PCV system outline with part numbers for the AWM. I really want to swap out the PCV valve and those little puck valves (I know it's not called a PCV valve on a VW).

·
Registered
241 Posts
hey reitman - i've written about this in a few different threads. the hoses are available (will post the link to the part) but the valves themselves are a mystery to me in terms of part numbers. i've asked autohausaz and this was the response:

The PCV valves on German vehicles are typically replaced. Most of them
are built into other parts such as valve covers and intake hoses and are
not replaced until faulty.

I don't really know what to make of that, I can ask a follow up on a diagram and the part number, or ask zeb at 1stvwparts.com.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd like to see a fog lamp DIY for the V6. It's probably out there but in case it's not, figured I'd drop that in here too. I've almost figured out my E320 and am about to go take a look at the VW to see if it has a similar case w/ flap setup that is held in place with plastic screws...

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
I'd like to see a fog lamp DIY for the V6. It's probably out there but in case it's not, figured I'd drop that in here too. I've almost figured out my E320 and am about to go take a look at the VW to see if it has a similar case w/ flap setup that is held in place with plastic screws...
there is a fog light installation walkthrough on the forums for cars not equipped with this feature. it is universal between 1.8t and v6 for all b5.5's
the b5's will be trickier as they have completely different setups for the "fog" lights within the headlights, from what i recal..

·
Registered
10 Posts
If possible, I'd really love to see a thermostat replacement writeup for the V6.

What about tune-ups? How often what what parts to be replaced?

thanks!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
thermostat replacement on the V6 is normally done as an adjunct to a timing belt change. you have to remove the timing belt in order to remove the waterpump, and the thermostat is under the waterpump.

for a V6, change NGK plugs every 40k miles. replace the PCV system (breather hose and vacuum pump every 100k or so. replace the air filter every 30k miles or so.
that's about it...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I dont have pictures but the best tip to make the front motor mounts the easiest to do since ive done them a couple of times is disconnect the anti-sway bar from the drop links and then un bolt the three bolts that hold in the front left and right corner frame supports. once you do this un bolt the bottom nut that holds the motor mount to the corner support, if its broken just pull it down you'll get the most room to work on it and its the quickest way. another tip is to make sure the mount that has two little tabs fits into the locations and tighten the bolt so that it will not move around

41 - 60 of 98 Posts