Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Mods: Posted here for visibility and feedback, please move if appropriate)

I just wanted to start an informal poll/thread to see what everyone would like to see added to the info forum, in terms of DIY instrux. Please post/PM if you have, or are willing to do, the following step-by-step writeups as the list grows:

1. Control Arm DIY (I plan to do; audiworld version: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html)
2. V6 Throttle Body cleaning (I plan to do)
3. V6 vacuum hose replacement
4. V6 motor mounts and snub mount
5. V6 resonator removal, glasspack/straightpipe install
6. "Easy" version of front suspension removal (mentioned in HermanH's DIY, no pics)
7. Rear suspension FWD (done; I have pics, will do writeup)
8. Rear suspension 4mo

Please add to this list so everyone can see a "popular demand" list; conversely, please post outside links (eg audiworld) to save the trouble of redundancy and send those links to the Info Forum mods. Thanks in advance to everyone for helping support this excellent online community!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Exhaust/Resonator removal and maybe glasspack placement? After doing mine a lotta people asked about it...

I as an individual would really like to see swappin in a new intake/downpipe maybe? Those sorta things I have no idea how to do.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
x2 on the TB cleaning. I attempted on my own and the hex key part is pretty dicey to the point I decided to wait til my idle was pretty bad to attempt it again.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I forgot that there is a decent CA writeup at audiworld, but I'd like to improve on it a little, make it more readable, etc.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If you will do a TB cleaning write up, I'd appreciate it. I was going to do it last weekend but still felt I was going in pretty blind. pictures and documentation would make my life a LOT easier. Esp since i have a v6 too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have not found a complete vacuum hose replacement guide for the V6, I think this could really help several people. Some of the hoses in the V6 are really tricky to get at and a step by step would be great. I have completed most of them myself, but it's been in groups across a few months as I have time and regret not getting some pics of the process, but am really crunched for time and also don't have my own garage to use at leisure.

I'll echo that the V6 throttle body cleaning guide and CA replacement guide would also be of great benefit. :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Since many people upgrade their suspensions, I would think that a comprehensive writeup of the front and rears (one each for FWD and 4Motion) would be appreciated. I say "comprehensive", because while HermanH's writeup about the fronts is excellent (and I made good use of it!), he didn't really say anything about the need to and / or how to "re-set" the control arms at the new ride height to forestall premature wear of suspension components. I only discovered this requirement while reading many posts.

Also, Herman's approach took the entire strut assembly (including UCAs) out of the car. Per the Bentley, I removed the plenum plugs and undid the nuts holding the upper spring seat to the strut bearing plate. Made the job a fair amount easier. In fact, if I did the job again, I don't think I'd have to remove the dreaded pinch bolt at all. As it was, I only had to pop one UCA out of the knunckle on each side to get the assembly out / back in.

Finally, I haven't seen anyone do a DIY on FWD or 4Mo rear suspension replacements. I did my 4Mo rears, and it really wasn't as bad as some people have indicated on the forum - certainly no worse than the fronts!

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rochacha said:
HermanH's writeup about the fronts is excellent, he didn't really say anything about the need to and / or how to "re-set" the control arms at the new ride height.
I'll cover that in the CA writeup and we can probably x-ref it to HermanH's stuff.

Also, Herman's approach took the entrie strut assembly (including UCAs) out of the car. Per the Bentley, I removed the plenum plugs and undid the nuts holding the upper spring seat to the strut bearing plate. Made the job a fair amount easier.
I did it that way, too--IIRC, I've got pics that could add or like from Herman's mention of it.

Finally, I haven't seen anyone do a DIY on FWD or 4Mo rear suspension replacements. I did my 4Mo rears, and it really wasn't as bad as some people have indicated on the forum - certainly no worse than the fronts!
I've got pics of the rears (FWD), but just need to write it up.

·
$t0rm1n [email protected]
8,184 Posts
Ok here is one...I have a chain cam gaskets write up here and Now I will write the easy swap.

OK 18mm socket and open box.
16mm socket and open box
13mm socket
17mm socket
air compresser need I have done 6 of these and never been able to do without.
spring compresser (auto zone)
Vise grips
Tq wrench.

Step 1:
Find the rubber plugs there are two of them on each side. One set right next to the ECU, the second set is right next to the cabin filter..you will need to pop them out...metal coat hanger is the best way(B5.5 move the plastic cover)

Step 2:
Break the wheel bolts and put the car on jack stands, also take the wheels off.

Step 3:
Take the 18mm lower shock bolt out..it will be a pain the first time because the bolt is in the wrong way, you can fix that when reinstalling. Also an air gun is the fastest way to pop both 18mm out.

Step 4:
Go to the plug holes in step one and take the 13mm nuts off the strut.

Step 5:
Have a buddy push down on the wheel hub and pull the shock out...BE CAREFUL OF THE CV BOOT.

Step 6:
Now is a great time to readj the control arm so use the 16mm to lossen the UCA and set to 42 or 43mm from the top of the bracket. and retighten them up I think 50Nm plus 90 degree turn, but check manual.

Step 7:
The strut.....put the spring compresser on the current springs and zap them with the air gun. Now when the springs are compressed all the way(don't be a dumbass it will kill you) take the 18mm socket and zip the top nut of the strut (If you can't lossen and the shaft moves visegrip the shaft with a rubber ends on the visegrips to hold the shaft in place to remove the top nut.

Step 8:
Place everything in order the way it came off and set it aside for putting it back together. Now with that apart take the spring compresser off the OEM ones and zap the new ones the way you did the old ones.

Step 9:
Put everything back on the strut as they came off with the new springs compressed and new shocks too. Cut your bump stops too (plastic cover off and use the top rubber part) Now zap that bolt on with the air gun....Now place the strut in a vise and Tq that bolt to 75Nm..you will need the visegrips again to hole that shaft.

Step 10:
Place the two top strut bolts in the right 10 degree setting (which I justed eyed the lower shock arm to the bolt so when the arm ends the bolt is starting..top view of corse)

Step 11:
Hold the everything in place and zap the compressers off the spring and take them off the springs.

Step 12:
Put in back in and Tq the lower bolt to 90Nm(put the bolt out so next time its easy) and Tq the two 13mm nuts to 10Nm.

Step 13:
Put the wheels back on and bam test drive it.

Step 14:
the next day go back and make sure the bolts are still TQ right and your good.

Ok please let add anything to help other members and if you have some pics let me know and I will edit my post and put them in Hope this helps too

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pson,

Go ahead and submit that one to the info forum, we're just collecting the "wish list" here. Thanks!

ps--motor mount already added up top :thumbup:

·
$t0rm1n [email protected]
8,184 Posts
ashman78 said:
pson,

Go ahead and submit that one to the info forum, we're just collecting the "wish list" here. Thanks!

ps--motor mount already added up top :thumbup:
I have on idea how to...lol. I just posted what I did this weekend...If you want to go head...or just use mine for your write up..which ever helps other out:lol:

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
If I had a camera and a decent memory, I could do several writeups for you.

I need someone to take notes while I work, I never remember the details afterwards.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The "easy" version of the front suspension didn't work on my 2001 ATQ, when Herman and I tried. I believe an AC line was in the way on one side, then my shock tower brace on the other side.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
replacement of the vacuum hoses on the V6 are very easy. They all lead to the same spot above the throttle body so it is easy to locate each one. The only tricky one goes to the front of the intake manifold which controls the intake runners. No clamps are needed and the same size silicon hose as the 1.8T uses can be used. I had some leftover from my 1.8T and swapped out all the vacuum hoses on my V6 with it. My only suggestion is to take a picture before you start for reference. Nothing more is really necessary, except a warning not to lose the small spring when removing the part controlling the runners.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
glyphin said:
The "easy" version of the front suspension didn't work on my 2001 ATQ, when Herman and I tried. I believe an AC line was in the way on one side, then my shock tower brace on the other side.
I had one like that a few weeks ago,the passenger side a/c was right over the top of the plug. Strange because my 01 ATQ was not a problem.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts