Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear exhaust "experts",

My B5.5 is a 2003 sedan with the 1.8T. Engine mods to date include a K&N drop in filter, TT DV, Wett 1.0 bar chip and an N75J valve.

I think the next step in my search for more torque and horse power should be a higher flowing exhaust. Having read a lot of threads on exhaust during my time at CB5 I have narrowed my choices to either the new Milltek system or a Brullen system because both seem to be quality, systems with and both are reputed to be relatively quiet systems.

I want to make sure I order the right parts and stay legal. It is my understanding that I cannot legally replace the OE catalytic converter with a high flow version because I have less than a certain number of miles, which amount I cannot remember right now, (I have 27,000) and because my car is less than 5 years old. Is this correct?

Assuming I have to keep the current cat, it follows that I want a "cat-back" system. I am all confused about "downpipes." I have thought that the cat was bolted to the turbo and then the downpipe goes from the cat down to the underside of the car where the pipe turn horizontal and heads to the suitcase resonator. However, some posts I have read seem to suggest that the down pipe is between the turbo and the cat. So, which is correct and, more importantly, if I am keeping the OE cat, do I (or can I) get a new downpipe? What do I order?

Also, I once heared a conversation between a group of GTI/Jetta afficionados. I was the only Passat there. These people were of the belief that cat back (as opposed to turbo back) was a waste of money beacuse the bottleneck in the system is the cat. Any thoughts on the accuracy of this statement? Are there performance gains to be achieved from cat back only or does one have to replace the cat to increase performance?

Finally, if a cat back system on a 1.8T Passat something that an average muffler shop can install or is there some special knowlege/experience level achieved by a VW/Audi tuner/speciality shop?

I really appreciate all knowledgeable input.

Thanks,

Slider.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

I know that many of you have after market exhaust. There must a few of you able to help me out on this one.

Much appreciated,

Slider.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I just had a milltek installed. Do a search for me and you'll find my posts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not_to0_shabby,

Thanks. Yes, I have read that thread and looked at the photos several times already. However, the thread does not answer the questions I have asked above.

Can you answer some of my questions?

Thanks again,

Slider.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you talk to jetta/gti folks you will be confused because there exhaust layout is completely different. There cat is after the downpipe.

On our cars the downpipe bolts up to the cat, so any cat back system on a passat is a FULL exhaust with every OEM piece replaced by an aftermarket piece. Because people sometimes get confused about this, sometimes it will be specifically mentioned that the exhaust has a downpipe even though they say it's catback.

I think a catback system on the passat does give performance gains, although butt dyno's are somewhat misleading after you just spent $900. I had mine installed by a VW tuning shop and I would suggest if you have one in the area, it would be a better choice than a midas.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not_too_shabby,

Thank you very much for that clarification. That is exactly the information I was looking for! There is no VW knowlegeable shop here in the Indianapolis area of which I am aware. I did not have a Midas type place in mind, rather, an Indy compnay that has about three different shops and specializes in mufflers. I guess I can call them and see what they say.

Slider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts