Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious about changing out the speaker on my 2003 Passat but frankly dont know squat about this stuff. Im not terribly impressed with the monsoons but am not sure if its worth upgrading - i.e. can you really improve the sound quality by installing aftermarket speakers (w/o adding a subwoofer or any other crazy modifications)? I dont want anything rediculous just something that sounds clear and crisp for all types of music that rocks the few times i want to push it. Ive upgraded the headunit to a JVC aresenal so i could listen to my mp3 player through the aux jack. This does have 2 sets of preamp outputs so i can use an aftermarket amp.

Im leaning towards 2 sets of 6.5" Infiniti Kappa 3 way's (63.7i) and an Infiniti 4 channel amp (7541a - 111Wx4) from crutchfield and am planning on having a professional do the install. With this setup do you disable the 4 stock tweeters and get all high end from the infiniti's? Do people in the know reccomend using component speakers or will these high end coaxial speakers give enough performance? If you use component speakers crutchfield said that they could not guarantee that you could get the tweeters in w/o modification. Are there component speakers that will drop right into the Passats existing factory slots? Anyone reccomend using dynamat inside the doors to reduce vibration? Im also curious where to mount the new amp and if its possible to remove the monsoon amp? Anyone got any good pics of where they put the amp?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Larry Otremba in Maryland

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Larry, the stock speakers on the monsoon are really pretty good. that's not to say aftermarket speakers aren't better - I'm saying I've heard loads of stock speakers that are worse than what VW puts in the Passat, monsoon or not.
that being said, the best advice anyone here will give you is to NOT go out and buy whatever LOOKS good and happens to match up with the money you have in your wallet at the time - if that's the case, stick with your stock speakers, because they will probably sound better. :D
the best thing to do is plan - go out to a car audio store that has a reasonably decent reputation in your town and "audition" speakers. listen carefully to several CDs while in the store, and listen to several sets of speakers that are in line with your budget. THEN decide... you may not be able to afford them immediately, but planning it out will give you better results - in my example, I drive 2 1/2 hrs every day to and from work. the sysytem in my car is decent, but I've been making (and exercising) plans to get it where I want. the result will most likely be pretty good.

components (in my opinion) are usually better than coaxial or triaxials. yes, it takes a bit of work to get the tweeters to fit in the stock location, but it sure sounds better.

if you are going to use the 63.7i's, the stock speakers (all eight of them) will be disabled. the amp you bought is not well matched to the speakers, tho - the speakers are rated at 75 W RMS, and the amp is rated at 111W RMS per channel; therefore, you may well blow your speakers at higher volume levels. you (or the shop you have doing the install) will need to have these for the front speakers so the window doesn't hit the speaker when the window rolls down.
according to quality_sound (Paul, who is another regular here), who is much more knowledgeable than I on the use of dynamat, you shouldn't need it, particularly if you stay witin the safe operating area for those speakers.
yes, you can remove the monsoon amp if you desire. most people I know mount amps under the rear deck, like where your monsoon amp is located. there are loads of pix here of amps mounted in that area - use the forum search function.

·
27,900 Posts
oh, and one more thing... I recommend coaxials in the rear doors, because of the close proximity of the normal tweeter replacement in the rear doors. the normal tweeter placement, if used for components, will most likely ruin your front sound stage.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
rear tweeters are evil. I wish I had the heart to take some pliers to my harness.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
rear tweeters are evil. I wish I had the heart to take some pliers to my harness.
It's not the tweeters, it's the placement. Take them out of the upper part of the door and then fab up a bridge over the mid in the lower part of the door and mount them there.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
good call, but I'm too lazy to do all that. They'll be silenced soon enough when I get my car audio program started. With a lot of your help and other research I have all the parts picked out I just have to fix my car mechanically and save up for all of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
- I've just got two sets of 2 way componants for front and rear. They are going to be getting fed by a 4 way amp. I considerd that this may sound a bit odd but was hoping that I could offset this with the fader on the HU. Probably not the best idea.

Would it be a better to set the high pass/low pass on the amp differently for front and rear speakers?

·
27,900 Posts
quality_sound said:
It's not the tweeters, it's the placement. Take them out of the upper part of the door and then fab up a bridge over the mid in the lower part of the door and mount them there.
eas said:
I've just got two sets of 2 way componants for front and rear. They are going to be getting fed by a 4 way amp. I considerd that this may sound a bit odd but was hoping that I could offset this with the fader on the HU. Probably not the best idea.
Would it be a better to set the high pass/low pass on the amp differently for front and rear speakers?
like paul said - get the tweeters down low is the best thing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
JayTheSnork said:
Larry, the stock speakers on the monsoon are really pretty good. that's not to say aftermarket speakers aren't better - I'm saying I've heard loads of stock speakers that are worse than what VW puts in the Passat, monsoon or not.

Gotta agree there. When I've got the money, I'll be upgrading, but they're not that bad. My stock Monsoon sounds a lot better than the Bose in our new MDX, and that's not just because I'm pushing 1550 more watts to my sub than the Bose sub.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and listened to the infinitis and kicker 6.5" coaxials and the sound is not rich at all. the guy told me that the factory speakers are intended to have a lot of range especially b/c there is no subwoofer in the passat. he also said that aftermarket 6.5" typically have less range - that they are intended to be mid range speakers and after listening to them it seems true. Sounds like the only way to make the system rich is to add a sub. I saw a pic on here of a guy that mounted a sub where the first aid kit is. i really liked this setup b/c it is very clean and doesnt take up any trunk space. anyone know if there is a manufacturer who makes this enclosure and how good it works? also, anyone have any feedback on getting 6.5'" with a decent amount of bass?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
lotremba said:
I went and listened to the infinitis and kicker 6.5" coaxials and the sound is not rich at all. the guy told me that the factory speakers are intended to have a lot of range especially b/c there is no subwoofer in the passat. he also said that aftermarket 6.5" typically have less range - that they are intended to be mid range speakers and after listening to them it seems true. Sounds like the only way to make the system rich is to add a sub. I saw a pic on here of a guy that mounted a sub where the first aid kit is. i really liked this setup b/c it is very clean and doesnt take up any trunk space. anyone know if there is a manufacturer who makes this enclosure and how good it works? also, anyone have any feedback on getting 6.5'" with a decent amount of bass?
The sub box that goes in the trunk by the wheel well is made by StLB5 on here. He has a thread in the classifieds. Great boxes, great sound - here's mine...

I started out with adding an amp and sub to my stock (non Monsoon) system, and it improved the sound tremendously. I'd start with that and go from there but the real guru around here for audio stuff is quality_sound.

·
27,900 Posts
there is a used sub box made by Josh (StLB5) in the classifieds right now. not sure if it is sold yet, but it will take a hefty 12 inch sub... it can handle a JL Audio 12W6, and that ain't light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts