Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My belt line trim on my back passenger side door is cracked near the front door, and I ordered a painted replacement part from Liberty VW (Thanks Jim!!!) and I'm about to replace it, probably tomorrow night.

Its already got the double sided tape on it, big plus. Now I just need to take the old one off and put the new one on. I was going to park it inside, break out a hairdryer heat up the trip and peel it off, being careful not to peel it off to fast. I'll try to work it off easily with some dental floss, mint probably. Then I'll take some Goo-Gone and remove the left over adhesive. Wash, dry and put a fresh coat of wax on the whole door. When that is done I'll place the trim and remove the backing on the tape and press into place.

Is there anything that I need to be careful of, besides removing the broken trim too fast? I think I would shit my self if I take some paint off the door. So I know I'll be very careful with that part of the job.

TIA :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump back to the first page.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Don't use Goo-Gone. It contains acetone and will damage your paint. Use rubbing alcohol instead.

And do not wax before you place the new trim on. U want the strip to stick on the body, not on the wax. You can de-wax by using dish cleaning solution.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even the Goo-Gone that is make specifically for Cars?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts