Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Replacing the stock Monsoon amp

12K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  NYA VW 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experiance with wiring in a different amp if you have the monsoon system? What are the sound increases, I don't really want to buy a sub, because I think it is too much bass. I wouldn't mind a LITTLE more bass, and a tad more clarity. Are the stock speakers already being pushed to the limits? Or if I put in say a decent 400 watt amp would I get an increase in sound clarity, bass levels, and stuff. I would also be interested in finding out how difficult of an install this is. Is it simply plug and play? Or is there a lot of splicing and stuff required. I would have posted this in the Mobile electronics section, but it is somewhat of a ghost town right now :roll:.

#3 ·
I personally would go the more conserative route and set up a sub in the back to get more substance out of your system. The Mids and Highs with the monsoon seem excellent to me, it's the lows that I really find lacking...
You don't have to go huge with the bass, just something to back up your already quality system... You can always adjust your bass speaker up and down on your preference...

#4 ·
as per Jacob who informed me of this in the electronics forum:

it will be a pain to replace the amp because the Monsoon amp has the crossovers built into it for the speakers. If you replace the amp you should replace the speakers as well otherwise it'll sound like crap.

#5 ·
Ok.. I want to do the same thing. I want to keep my stock Moonson headunit but change out the Moonson amp and speakers with a JL 500/5, MB Quarts, and JL Stealtbox.

I was told the headunit does not have additional RCA jacks. Then how does the Moonson head unit connect to the Monsoon amp?

#6 ·
Man, i dont think you have to change the monsoon amp. I think you may want to upgrade your speakers first for a cheaper way of getting better sound. For the type of music I listen to (good ole' Reggae), I have to take bass out. In fact my Bass is never higher then "0". I dont think the stock speakers can handle the monsoon amp. When I get the chance I am going to replace my speakers. But hey, I am not a sound expert. I changed speakers in my '85 325E Bimmer (loved that car), kept the stock system, and got great sound improvment. Hope that helps u some. :

#7 ·
I'm doing the reverse. The Monsoon head unit is junk. Bad FM reception (and really bad FM sound quality), and scratchy highs on CDs. Looks nice though, and I like the steering wheel controls. I replaced just the head in my 98 B5 and it made a world of difference. I'm expecting the same from this one. I've added a small amp and 10" bazooka, and it fills out the bottom end well enough. I may put my old MB Quarts in the front doors if I don't like the stock units, but I don't expect I'll have to go much further than replacing the head unit.

#13 ·
S_Klass said:
Why is there something that looks like a HAMMER in the trunk of that car? Is it a cap?
Lol, I don't recall what that was. Ideas people! What is a decent setup for cheap. Anyone have some used parts they would be willing to sell me in a few months when I gather funds?

#15 ·
I ADDED a second amp to the Monsoon to power a single 12" sub.

Adds more bass, and is a very inexpensive solution.
If I can find a diagram of what I did, I'll post it here.

#16 ·
AgVWB5 said:
I'm doing the reverse. The Monsoon head unit is junk. Bad FM reception (and really bad FM sound quality), and scratchy highs on CDs. Looks nice though, and I like the steering wheel controls. I replaced just the head in my 98 B5 and it made a world of difference. I'm expecting the same from this one. I've added a small amp and 10" bazooka, and it fills out the bottom end well enough. I may put my old MB Quarts in the front doors if I don't like the stock units, but I don't expect I'll have to go much further than replacing the head unit.
Hey man, if u can find a replacement that has the nice blue and red back lighting to go with the rest of the car -- go for it --- and let us know about it.

#17 ·
VWPassatGLX155 said:
D.Passat00 said:
why not do this?

:poke:
God... please no. What is a decent system that I can install for under 400 bucks. I don't want anything big. Please nothing over a 10. I hate booming bass, I just want to add a 10-20% increase.
if you're looking for more bass, add a sub and an amp. if you're looking for better quality sound overall, get new speakers and a new headunit. i think that's the best choice for that price range.

#20 ·
I'm after more bass too...

However mine is a UK spec W8 with upgraded speakers, Gama head unit with Digital Sound Processor system installed in the dash & CD autochanger in the trunk (all VW original fit).

There is an amp for the Gama / DSP system mounted in the upper right part of the trunk, and I haven't got a clue how I'd wire in an additional amp / bass speaker(s).

Any clues would be much appreciated as well as recommendations as to what to get to enhance the bass...

Chris

#22 ·
GoldenPassat said:
AgVWB5 said:
Hey man, if u can find a replacement that has the nice blue and red back lighting to go with the rest of the car -- go for it --- and let us know about it.
Blaupunkt stuff matches pretty closely. You guys convinced me to get a sub, now the question is what kind, and powered by what amp... I want to spend no more than about 400 dollars for everything. I could do the install myself if provided with a write up of sorts.

#25 ·
Thanks for the diagram, Taz.
There's something I don't understand, though. In the diagram, there's a gray wire coming off the cd changer that turns into a yellow wire at the harness where a blue wire comes off and goes to the new amp.
:???:
Everything else looks good, just that part I don't get. Little help, please?
cheers :beer:

#26 ·
teknubic said:
Thanks for the diagram, Taz.
There's something I don't understand, though. In the diagram, there's a gray wire coming off the cd changer that turns into a yellow wire at the harness where a blue wire comes off and goes to the new amp.
:???:
Everything else looks good, just that part I don't get. Little help, please?
cheers :beer:

The grey wire is the wire coming FROM the CD Changer. The yellow wire is coming FROM the head unit (the stereo). The two wires meet at a wiring harness. On one end of the wiring harness, is the yellow wire. On the other end of the harness is the grey.

My blue wire is my amp's "turn on" lead. You can either connect it to the yellow or grey side, as they both are carrying the same load. I BELIEVE I connected the blue wire to the grey wire (after the harness), but I can't remember.

Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.