Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, another question to get the word of the masses!! I want to replace my OEM filter with a K&N, now I have heard that it can cause some issues with the mass air unit and you get a light on the dash that will not go away till the stock filter is put back in. Any experience with this issue?? Thanks again you have all given me tons of info!

Neil~
8)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm running K&N (>45K miles now) and the MAF problems arise when you over-oil. Thus far, I have not had that problem although I have only re-oiled the K&N once. No CEL/MIL related to K&N. LOL.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I don't have a K&N, and personally doubt that it will actually improve your performance by any measurable amount, while simltaneously not filtering as well as a plain old paper filter, but...

To actually answer your question: one method that has been used by CB5'ers to prevent MAF fouling is to put the filter in an old pillowcase and swing it briskly around your head to get the excess oil out after it has had a chance to soak in...

If you do foul your MAF, you have to clean it to make the light go away... merely putting the stock back in won't help.

SirWired

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Neil,
I've had the K&N in for 2wks (about 500km, with factory oiling), and no issues, though I do feel the top end acceleration has improved somewhat. Maybe my old paper filter was dirty.

I don't think it will improve things much - just an excuse to mod, and spend more money!!! :poke:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oil what for

I'm about to install new K&N have no knowledge that you have to oil it the first time put it; should I do this? What kind of oil; how much do you use on a brand new filter. Really need an answer will be my weekend project

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
From my experience with the K&N and from the testing I have seen they are not worth it and potentially cause more headaches than performance gains. The disadvantages to them outweigh the advantages especially when you consider the cost and trouble of cleaning and re-oiling. I just toss in a new $12 paper filter every 20k miles or so and save my time and money for things more worthwhile.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,310 Posts
The K&N filter, granted, won't make you feel a huge increase in performance, if any at all. It's definitely better than paper though. At least with the K&N you won't have to go through the friggin' headache of replacement that often. That thing is a pain in the ass to get out. As long as you don't over-oil the filter, you won't have any problems with the MAF and also won't have to replace the filter as often. Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Its debateable that a K&N is better than paper. Does a K&N let in more air?...barely. Does a K&N let in more dirt?....YES. So I guess it depends on what your definition of "better" is. I find it much easier to just pull out the old filter every 40k miles and put in a new one rather than going through the elaborate and time consuming cleaning and re-oiling procedure and then having to worry about over-oiling. Plus when you factor in the cost of the K&N and the cleaning kit, that would buy you like 5 paper air filters good for 200k miles. Who keeps their car that long? So the K&N is not really a good value.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Honestly, there's pro's and cons with using oil-based gauze or foam based filters. Yes, if the filter oil hits your MAF Sensor it has to be cleaned or replaced! I've ran K&N filters for quite some time and they once were a racing standard, but their design has become quite dated.

Other companies like Afe, BMC Air Filters, and ITG have excellent replacement panel filters for the Passats. If you do run one of these filters make sure you wipe off any excess filter oil from the sides; especially after a cleaning and even when it's brand new. I used to place my K&N's in an old pillowcase and swing them around for a bit in order to draw out excess filter oil.

I'm running BMC's in the W8 without any issues.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swami thanks for the update. I have had my 95 pickup running K&N since I bought it and didnt really have a reason to look for other makes. BTW my pickup has 197,000 miles on it so I keep my cars that long!!! Anyway do you have to oil BMC filters?

Neil~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.